2002 lincoln ls ball joints

kdssm

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My 2002 Lincoln LS v8 needs new lower ball joints and I have found just the ball joints at Rockauto but they have both 14mm and 16mm, can anyone tell me what size I need. I think I need 14mm but need to know before ordering them. Has anyone had any exprience with either DEEZA or MOOG
parts.
Thanks for any help.
Ken

Please search from now on.. the smaller one is non sports and larger is for the sport models..

I believe the mogg is better.. a lot of people use them as a good replacement..

You will need 14mm but this car is infamous for ball joint pulling itself apart, called ford to report problem and see if they have a recall on it but not on 02 to date, not enough calls they say to warrant at this time. Ive been online for long time researching this.
Some ppl are getting 16mm and boring hole in control arm to that size and replacing, others are just replacing with original 14mm. I need some guidance on if i should put 16mm in or just 14mm and hope dont have problem in 5000miles like alot of others. Please call ford and report problem so in the event they recall all that have problem and receipts can get reimbursed.

Umm boring the hole out? Never heard of it and I think that it would be a safety issue.. it is 14 for non sport ( aka Chrome on the bumper ) and 16 for sport. That's the difference..

I had mine put in and no problems..

You will need 14mm but this car is infamous for ball joint pulling itself apart, called ford to report problem and see if they have a recall on it but not on 02 to date, not enough calls they say to warrant at this time. Ive been online for long time researching this.
Some ppl are getting 16mm and boring hole in control arm to that size and replacing, others are just replacing with original 14mm. I need some guidance on if i should put 16mm in or just 14mm and hope dont have problem in 5000miles like alot of others. Please call ford and report problem so in the event they recall all that have problem and receipts can get reimbursed.

who is "some people"? I've never heard of this

Note that it's 16mm for sport suspension. You can have the chrome trim on the bumper and the sport suspension package - proof positive on my LS.
Need to know what kind of suspension package you have. Max may be nice enough to decode your VIN (if that says, I'm not sure). Or if you measure your front sway bar. Or sometimes if you have the 17" instead of 16" wheels.

OR you can measure the ones you have. OR order both, give it all to your shop of choice and return the unused.

Lots of skin on this cat, really.

At least we can get the ball joints now. I had to buy 2 new steering knuckles a few years ago when mine got loose.

Can someone confirm this... I've read both ways...

a 2002 sport package will have 16mm ball joints?

or

Lincoln bounced around with sizes and i need to have my vin checked to be sure?

You'll need to find the build date of your LS. Up to 3/11/02 they were 14mm. After 3/11/02 they were 16mm. This info is from Rockauto.com

The Mevotech ball joints/knuckles are now $75 a piece on Rockauto. I installed them in April and they still seem pretty good.

What all brands and costs have people seen with the outer tie rod ends. I need them somewhat soon, I remember seeing them on here for like 25, but I can't remember the thread they where in, it was sort of off topic to that thread.

What all brands and costs have people seen with the outer tie rod ends. I need them somewhat soon, I remember seeing them on here for like 25, but I can't remember the thread they where in, it was sort of off topic to that thread.

GRell got some at O'Riellys for approx $20/side. I bought mine at Autozone for $60, I was in need of them though but it still stings.

Yep, 20 ea. ...If you spray penetrating oil the night before, and have a small torch ready (may or may not need)... its a 30-60min job.

Yep, 20 ea. ...If you spray penetrating oil the night before, and have a small torch ready (may or may not need)... its a 30-60min job.

Don't forget about the saw! The nut on the knuckle side was being a pain so I cut it off. A lot easier than messing with holding the spinning corroded stud.

I always just rip the boot, then use a set of vise grips to hold it... (vise grips also needed to hold steering arm while breaking and unscrewing tie rods)

You'll need to find the build date of your LS. Up to 3/11/02 they were 14mm. After 3/11/02 they were 16mm. This info is from Rockauto.com

So... here's my info... I should have 16mm then.

Seems like there were alot of options I've NEVER seen before on a LS

Primary Features
Build Date: 18.04.2002
Vehicle Line: Lincoln LS
Body Style: 4 Door Saloon
Series: High Version
Engine: 3.9L Dohc EFI NA V8 Gas*HP
Transmission: 5 Spd Auto Trans NAAO 5R55N
Drive: LHD RWD
Axle Ratio: 3.31
Emission: With 49 State Emission Requirements
Air Conditioning: Automatic Air Conditioning
Paint: Light Parchment Gold

Minor Features
Medium Parchment
Sport
Less Fleet Related Items
Wixom Plant Build
U.S. Sales
Less Special Equipment Package
Less Appearance Group
With Cold Weather Group # 1
With Memory Pack
Feature Content Group 1
With Smart Sense Pack
Less Luxury Package
Less Special Language Label
Owner Hand Book Pack
With Solar Tinted Windshield
Front Floor Carpet Mats
Rear Floor Carpet Mats
Electrochromic Mirror With Compass
Driver Power Memory Heat Mirror
Pass Power Heated Memory Mirror
With Front 2 Way Headrest
With Electric Driver Seat Recliner
With Electric Pass.Seat Recliner
With LH Electric Lumbar Support
With RH Electric Lumbar Support
With Split Fold-Down Rear Seat
With Integrated Rear Headrest
With Engine Oil Cooler
With Power Lock Group
With Automatic Windscreen Wiper
Less Headlamp Washer/Wiper
With Electric Slide Sunroof
Less Transit Coating
Less Front License Plate Bracket
Less Tether Anchorage Restraint
With Mini Aluminium Spare Wheel
7.5X17" 5 Spoke Painted Alloy Wheel
P235/50VR17 A/S BSW Tyre
17" Mini Spare Tyre
Less Immersion Heater
Special Suspension
Traction Control With IVD
With Manual Shift Auto Trans
For Unleaded Fuel
Less Steering Column Lock
Leather Steering Wheel
With MPH/KMH Speedometer
Less Acoustical Warning System
With Message Centre
With Perimeter Anti-Theft
With CDX6 Radio And 6 Disc Changer
Less CD Player
With NAAO Radio Frequency
With Audiophile Sound System
Less Telephone
Less Daytime Running Lamps
Less Side Repeat Flashers
Less CP Prototype Build
Less Rear Fog Lamps
Less Headlamp Levelling
Less Battery Cut Off Relay
Light Parchment Gold
Less B&A Control Codes Issue 030388
XW43-18B036-SB L/F SPG/SHK-2FS
XW43-18B036-SB R/F SPG/SHK-2FS
XW43-18W002-EB L/R SPG/SHK-2RE
XW43-18W002-EB R/R SPG/SHK-2RE
(+)"USA"
(-)"IRL"
(-)"CDN"
(-)"TW"
(-)"GU"
(-)"BRN"
(-)"IL"

FYI, don't always believe and rely on what RockAuto lists in their catalog. I have found a few errors in the past.

Staff online

Members online

Back