00 LS Engine Noise/Main Bearings/Need Help

Lincoln414

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I heard a horrible noise in my car. Very loud knocking that occurs when I accelerate and when the vehicle starts. Im about 95 percent sure its the main bearings. Also my oil light came on very briefly before the noise occured. It only flashed for a split second so I did not pay no mind sadly. Also my oil change light status was down to 4 percent. The oil message wasnt the usual Oil Change Needed but a new one Oil Change Required. I havent noticed that one before. Anyways I got the oil changed and two days later the noise started. I was doing research on how to fix the main bearings and found out that the engine comes out from the bottom. Theres no way I can take out from the bottom. The top wouldnt be a problem. I was wondering if was possible from the top. Has anyone done the rod bearings before ? Any help or advice about something I might want to know about the procedure that isnt normal ? If I replace the engine can I put a V6 in instead of the eight with out having to change anything else ? Could I also put in the faster 03 v8 with any other mods or do i have to get the 00-02 engine. I really like this car and want to keep it. Any help will help me make my final decision because i have different options. I know its a lot but I just need aditional feedback. Thanks in advance.

PS: If there is a thread on this already I apologize. I wasnt able to find it searching, if so please just the link. Thanks.

You cannot get bearings for the V8 .I looked all around when I heard you could not get them. I was like I will find them,nope. Also when you scar up a rod bearing you just can't replace a bearing and be done. When rod bearing goes it hurts the crank and if you just put in new bearing with out turning the crank it will kill new bearing fast. Also you can't drop in a v6 from v8, to much work and also trans bellhousing pattern different. Look for a cheap junkyard or ebay motor there out there all day for 800 and up. Also how many miles on motor?

Only 85000 miles on a 2000. I try not to beat up my cars. All stock and completely maintained. I believe the oil sending unit took a dump. I really did not have any warning. It all happened so fast. You pretty much verified everything I thought I was going to have to do. It kind of sucks because if I had a warning that the engine wasnt getting oil I would have replaced it right away. Any ideas for an used or remanufactured engine ? I have been paying attention to ebay as well. Thanks for the advice. Could I exchange for the faster 03 engine or do I need the 00-02 engine?

Members online

No members online now.
Back