'01 LS V6 auto?

steagle

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
i've finally found a used LS that fits most of my criteria, except it is the V6 engine. anyone here have this model, and have any wisdom to share? does the 210hp feel a little weak on the road? how is the shifting with the auto transmission? i'm going to test drive it saturday, but would love to go to the dealers with as much knowledge as possible on this model.

I have an 02 v6 and it not bad on the freeway (Ive had 2 5.0 mustangs previously). Of course its not a v8 but It will hold its on 80 to about 110 it feels good for a v6. go test drive both. The shifting feels good to me but maybe some people w more knowledge will chim in

I have a V6, It does have enough to jump from 55 to 110 very easily. If you wnat more power, you use more gas. gas went up 19 cents today. :(

true :(
i like the V6 because of the slightly better gas mileage and slightly lower insurance rate, but i don't like how it's a generic Ford engine compared to the Jaguar-based V8. i've just always been very suspicious of Ford engines. but I will keep my opinions in check until I've driven it :)

(oh and fortunately, the dealer has a V8 available too, so i will be able to do side-by-side comparisons)

The engine is part offenhauser<spelling sorry> Im not sure if its just the casting or a comeplete design by them

I have a v6, eh, not to fast, but it can defintaly get out of it's own way. I imagine cat back exhaust and intake would open it up a little bit.
Eamonn

I've got a V6 with intake, catback and chip, the mod make a big difference.
It basically comes down to why you want the car.

steagle said:
true :(
i like the V6 because of the slightly better gas mileage

Not really. I have an '06 and a '00 V6. The 8 gets at least as good mileage in town as my 6. On the freeway, the 8 is slightly better. Remember, that 6 has to haul around ~3800 pounds!

Now, the 6 does handle slightly better due to the lower front end weight.

I have a V6 auto sport. I have to say that it is not the best 6 cylinder engine of all but it's just OK. The car has a good accelaration 50 - 80 and 90 - 120 but it's not something very impressive. The engine has a good sound, feels smooth, but has a poor low end (below 3000rpm) and the high rpm band (6000 on) is not very good. It does pull nice from 4000-6000 though. The transmission shifts just like in the V8 (I have driven all of the LS models). The gas mileage is really poor on mine, I get a V8 like gas mileage, maybe because of my oversized wheels.

The 03 and up V6 feels better than the old one. In my opinion it is better to get the V8, there is a little difference in the handling though.

I am one of the few luckies with the V6 and a 5-speed!! Gas mileage is pretty weak (average of around 20MPG), but I feel like I get a better kick from the start. K & N filter helps a bit, but wouldlike to get a full intake and cat back ex.

I have an '01 V6. I drove both and REALLY liked the V8. However, I chose the V6 because it was a little cheaper on price and insurance. That said, I wish that I'd bought the V8, but I don't know how many tickets that I'd have now!

If you want the car for a nice ride and cruising, then the V6 will be cool. I frequently look down on the interstate in my V6 and see that I'm almost going 100 mph without realizing it. It rides and cruises that well.

If you want a fast car, get the V8. It feels like it pulls harder than a 5.0 Mustang. I hear the fuel mileage difference is next to nothing between the two.

mharrison said:
I hear the fuel mileage difference is next to nothing between the two.
All things being equal, the V6 should get somewhere between two and five more miles per gallon than the V8. My decidedly un-scientific observations on this are that that is more or less true, although the low MPG V8s tend to get much lower mileage than the low MPG V6es--though that seems to be more due to the fact that the V8 guys have heavier feet. :D

SoonerLS said:
All things being equal, the V6 should get somewhere between two and five more miles per gallon than the V8. My decidedly un-scientific observations on this are that that is more or less true, although the low MPG V8s tend to get much lower mileage than the low MPG V6es--though that seems to be more due to the fact that the V8 guys have heavier feet. :D

Well the window stickers only show a 1 mpg difference. Having a very green V8 and a well broken-in V6, I'd say the sticker is about right.

LS4me said:
Well the window stickers only show a 1 mpg difference. Having a very green V8 and a well broken-in V6, I'd say the sticker is about right.
Do they? I've never looked up the EPA numbers on the V6; I'm just going by what I've seen reported. Either way, for the most part, it looks like the V6 goes just a bit higher in the MPG range...but not enough to make up for that "I could've had a V8" forehead smack...:slam

SoonerLS said:
Do they? I've never looked up the EPA numbers on the V6; I'm just going by what I've seen reported. Either way, for the most part, it looks like the V6 goes just a bit higher in the MPG range...but not enough to make up for that "I could've had a V8" forehead smack...:slam

ABSOLUTELY!!!! Even if a V6 was offered in the final year of the LS, I would have bought the V8. The mileage difference just isn't worth it.

I had a 2000 LS v6 5speed and I liked the pickup off the line and when you needed power you could drop a gear .I personally would not buy a automatic Ls .I'm looking for a Ls right now & there are so many auto V6 & V8's out there for as low as $8000 canadian & I still don't want one .Just ask all the people out there with tranny problems ford ain't gonna help you .I drove the v8 & the powers there but I felt I had more control with the 5 speed .also gas is $1.06 a litre ??/ :eek: hope this helps your decision

I'd check out the CTS if you want a V6. An '03 comes with a 3.2L 220hp V6 or '04+ has a 2.8L or 3.6L v6 putting out 210 and 255hp respectively. All available in auto or manual as well.

Members online

Back