02 motor into 2k body

SymtecX

LVC Member
Reaction score
my 3.9 jumped time and after a long deliberation and parts search to replace timing on a 180k engine would be useless and would cost more than an engine. after a long and tedious search i got an engine from an 02 with 58k on it very reasonable. after getting the engine shipped home i noticed that it has an oil cooler setup but no cooler came with it just the rubber lines connected to the oil filter platform. my question here is how does these motors come out the easiest for replacement and since no auto parts place near by can sell me a oem replacement oil cooler for an ls if a universal trans oil cooler would work? or for the mean time could i just loop it around and run it that way for the break in process and try to find a factory oil cooler? or possibly have a custom cooler bent from aluminum piping?

or if someone has a cooler for a very reasonable price + shipping asap?

The engine oil cooler is an oil to water cooler. Those two hoses attach to the lower radiator hose. They carry water, not oil. You can either remove the oil to water cooler, or get the lower radiator hose that has the two water hose connections (the two hoses are part of the radiator hose assembly).

The engine oil cooler is an oil to water cooler. Those two hoses attach to the lower radiator hose. They carry water, not oil. You can either remove the oil to water cooler, or get the lower radiator hose that has the two water hose connections (the two hoses are part of the radiator hose assembly).

since my original engine did not have a cooler on it can i run this engine w/o the hoses connected to anything until i can get a lower hose assymbly? or can i just remove it all together and use my old engine's filter arm?

You should be able to run with the oil cooler lines just not connected to anything. Should at least cap them so you don't catch a lot of crap in there.

You can also swap the oil filter mount from your old engine onto this one, then bring the cooler back when you get the hose. The cooler setup has the mount (the 90deg turn part) and the cooler, while the non-cooler ones only have a mount. Note that the mounts are different, but the mount mounting to the block is the same.
Clear as mud?

You should be able to run with the oil cooler lines just not connected to anything. Should at least cap them so you don't catch a lot of crap in there.

You can also swap the oil filter mount from your old engine onto this one, then bring the cooler back when you get the hose. The cooler setup has the mount (the 90deg turn part) and the cooler, while the non-cooler ones only have a mount. Note that the mounts are different, but the mount mounting to the block is the same.
Clear as mud?

Agreed. The difference isn't 2000 to 2002, it's non-sport to sport. If the cooler wasn't really needed before, it's not really needed now.

thanks guys i actually found the hose made by gates for $50.00 under my garage account, after a thorough inspection of the engine it needs valve cover gaskets due to very small amount of oil in a few spark plug holes and there was moisture on 2 coils so they need replaced also before installed

Members online

No members online now.
Back