03 back from the shop after failsafe- Here's the invoice

Archer28

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
No charge on anything due to it still being under warranty, but I'm curious about the "water into the cap wells" TSB that is cited.

If anyone remembers I had the car go into failsafe, and it was missing.

The note on the invoice reads: (not corrected for spelling)
VERFIED MISS IN VEICLE PERFORMED IDS SELFTEST FOUND CODE P0304 CK OASIS AND FOUND TSB 05 16 0 2 VERFIED WITH TSB THAT WATER WAS GETTING INTO THE CAP WELLS AND HAD DAMAGED THE NO 4 COIL PACK PERFORMED TSB PROEDURES REMOVED COILS AND CLEANED BOOTS BLEW THE WELLS DRY AND APPLIED DIELECTRIC COMPOUND INTO THE BOOTS OF THE COILS REINSTALLED COILS AND INSTALLED TWO VENT COIL COVERS REMOVED COWL PANEL INSTALLED NEW FOAM SEAL REINSTALLED COWL TEST DROVE CERTIFIED FIX

The invoice shows one DG*515*coil asy-ignition
and two XW4Z*12025*AD cover- ignition coil

Its running fine now (still such a great car to drive).

Just wanted to post for a FYI!

I think they mean "COP", not Cap.

Here's the excerpt from TSB 05-16-02:

WATER/MOISTURE IN COP WELLS - DTC P0301 - P0308 - 3.9L ENGINE - VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 5/1/2004

FORD: 2002-2005 Thunderbird
LINCOLN: 2000-2005 LS

This article supersedes TSB 02-16-2 to update the vehicle model years, and the Service Procedure.

ISSUE Some 2000-2005 Lincoln LS and 2002-2005 Thunderbird vehicles equipped with the 3.9L engine and built through 5/1/2004, may exhibit a misfire condition and possible diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0301-P0308. This may be caused by water or moisture in the coil on plug (COP) and coil wells, due to water leaking past the foam seal of the cowl panel grill.

ACTION First verify water or moisture is present in the coil wells by removing the ignition coil covers, refer to section 303-07B of 2005 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual. If signs of water or moisture are present refer to the following Service Procedure. If there are no signs of water or moisture, perform normal diagnostics as outlined in the PC/ED Manual.

The TSB goes into the details of the service procedure after that. Glad you got it all fixed.

No charge on anything due to it still being under warranty, but I'm curious about the "water into the cap wells" TSB that is cited.

If anyone remembers I had the car go into failsafe, and it was missing.

The note on the invoice reads: (not corrected for spelling)
VERFIED MISS IN VEICLE PERFORMED IDS SELFTEST FOUND CODE P0304 CK OASIS AND FOUND TSB 05 16 0 2 VERFIED WITH TSB THAT WATER WAS GETTING INTO THE CAP WELLS AND HAD DAMAGED THE NO 4 COIL PACK PERFORMED TSB PROEDURES REMOVED COILS AND CLEANED BOOTS BLEW THE WELLS DRY AND APPLIED DIELECTRIC COMPOUND INTO THE BOOTS OF THE COILS REINSTALLED COILS AND INSTALLED TWO VENT COIL COVERS REMOVED COWL PANEL INSTALLED NEW FOAM SEAL REINSTALLED COWL TEST DROVE CERTIFIED FIX

The invoice shows one DG*515*coil asy-ignition
and two XW4Z*12025*AD cover- ignition coil

Its running fine now (still such a great car to drive).

Just wanted to post for a FYI!

Here is, in-part, what the TSB says:

ISSUE
Some 2000-2005 Lincoln LS and 2002-2005 Thunderbird vehicles equipped with the 3.9L engine and built through 5/1/2004, may exhibit a misfire condition and possible diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0301-P0308. This may be caused by water or moisture in the coil on plug (COP) and coil wells, due to water leaking past the foam seal of the cowl panel grill.

Part of the fix:

2. Remove the foam seal and discard (Figure 1).

3. Clean foam-sealing area using Bug and Tar Remover (ZC-42) or equivalent.

4. Install a new foam seal (5W4Z-54021A46-A), centering the seal on the hole of the cowl panel grille (Figure 1).

5. Reinstall the cowl panel grille. Refer to Section 501-02 of the 2005 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I really hope the TSB is correct. I was worried it was oil from the valve cover.

I'll still probably check for oil in the wells in a week or so.

Members online

No members online now.
Back