03 Lincoln LS leaking antifreeze

benpinckney0

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, I drive a 2003 Lincoln LS with 90k miles. About a week ago I noticed it slowly leaking antifreeze. It is a very slow drip, maybe a drop every minute or so, but it accumulates over time into a decent puddle under the car. I took it to a shop and they bled the system and told me the leak had stopped, which it did. After about a day passed and I drove it twice, it started slowly leaking again.
IMG_6813.jpg

Here is an image of where the leak is at, it seems to be running down the side of the engine from above somewhere, as you can see on the left.
It's hard to get under to see where it originates since everything is so tight together.
Any help or ideas would be appreciated

The leak is in the front under the hood on the passenger side, close to the middle of the car. Since getting it bled, it is leaking much slower so far and sometimes goes long periods of time without leaking much at all.

It's the plastic cooling system parts, all of them.

I see, is there any easy way I can confirm this is the issue or is it 100% the problem.

I have also seen that the parts are $530. The car only costed me $1500, is there any sense in trying to identify the specific cooling part leaking and replacing just that one? I have read that they usually give out around the same time but I only need this car to get me by about 2 more years while I finish college, so if the rest of the parts could last 2 extra years it would be worth it to me.

Also with trying to get through 2 more years, do you think it will get much worse if I drive it around as is, frequently checking coolant and refilling when it gets low?

I appreciate any advice and thank you

This has all been discussed to death in several threads. I suggest you search them out and read them. Many of them end with "you guys were right and I had to replace everything in the end and it cost more doing it one at a time." Some people got lucky, at least for a few weeks.
If you replace enough leaking parts, the system will pressurize and blow the next weakest one. This will continue till you work through all of them. Some parts that you didn't plan on replacing may fall apart as you remove the part they are attached to.

Got it. Which parts often go first just for trying to diagnose it? I can't find the source of the leak from above or below and all of the plastic connectors and pieces I've found appear in suprisingly great condition.
1723601154538.png

Everything visible from above is completely dry and sturdy

Got it. Which parts often go first just for trying to diagnose it? I can't find the source of the leak from above or below and all of the plastic connectors and pieces I've found appear in suprisingly great condition.
View attachment 828579107
Everything visible from above is completely dry and sturdy
I thought you said you had a 2003?
That's the drawing for a 1st gen. Which is it?
The parts rot from the inside out. They develop micro cracks.

I thought you said you had a 2003?
That's the drawing for a 1st gen. Which is it?
The parts rot from the inside out. They develop micro cracks.
Yes it is an 03, I have the wrong diagram there, and got it that makes sense that they rot from inside out.
1723610618621.png

So this is the 2nd gen diagram.
The overflow bottle is usually a primary suspect (12?), but since the leak is close to the passenger side I'd assusme it's something near there?

@benpinckney0 il try to help you locate your problem the best i can. First are you sure its antifreeze? What color is it? Your air conditioner will also drip condensation on the ground on the passenger side. I don't know what shop you took it to but any good mechanic will know that bleeding the system won't stop a cooling system leak.

In the diagram... part #15 and part # 23 have O-rings that leak.

The engine coolant then runs under the intake manifold, and usually drips off the transmission bell housing.

You basically need to replace any/every plastic cooling system part on the engine.

Most OEM parts are obsolete now, so that means replacing them with aftermarket parts.

Hi, I drive a 2003 Lincoln LS with 90k miles. About a week ago I noticed it slowly leaking antifreeze. It is a very slow drip, maybe a drop every minute or so, but it accumulates over time into a decent puddle under the car. I took it to a shop and they bled the system and told me the leak had stopped, which it did. After about a day passed and I drove it twice, it started slowly leaking again.
View attachment 828579106
Here is an image of where the leak is at, it seems to be running down the side of the engine from above somewhere, as you can see on the left.
It's hard to get under to see where it originates since everything is so tight together.
Any help or ideas would be appreciated
Another thing not mentioned is a coolant hose under intake at base of thermostat housing. It loops back to throttle body.

One end goes to a nipple behind the back of the T-stat gooseneck, and the other end goes to the throttle body.

Some people pull the intake to change that hose. Others don't pull the intake, but instead pull the throttle body through "creative methods". ... and special pliers.

I have done a few cooling system rebuilds. That hose doesn't seem to be a failure point since a cooling system rebuild is normally done every 70k miles. (at least when using factory parts).

Using aftermarket parts may not last as long.

I have a hose place that can replicate that hose... Using a steel middle section with 2 crimped stubby ends.

I have yet to contact them about this.

I have done a few cooling system rebuilds. That hose doesn't seem to be a failure point since a cooling system rebuild is normally done every 70k miles. (at least when using factory parts).

Using aftermarket parts may not last as long.

I have a hose place that can replicate that hose... Using a steel middle section with 2 crimped stubby ends.

I have yet to contact them about this.
thats the ticket
I had coolant on the trans bell housing like this guy for a long time.
Then one day that hose blew.

LOL

Members online

No members online now.
Back