06 LS now got engine fail safe mode

lan_baba

LVC Member
Reaction score
Has 54K miles on it, wife drives the car, got engine fail safe mode twice in the past 4 weeks. Did my research, the two most common problems are the coils and the throttle body. So, I decided to replace the coils and spark plugs first and see if it works. I remember that someone have posted an instruction on how to replace the coils with step by step pictures here or somewhere else? Please share the link.
Also, there are posts that ford had an extended warranty on the coils for the 03~05 LS, where can I find this information, just want to check why 06 is not included.

If it went into fail safe mode you should have some trouble codes, get them read before you start throwing money at it. Bad coils usually give some pre-warning like flashing CEL when they are going bad. Maybe the the throttle body. Changing the coils you can find at the top of the page under TECH ARTICLES, then down on the left side under Lincoln LS. The extended warranty doesn't say why other years are not covered, try searching extended warranty.

Again see what codes were thrown first.

My coils sounded like the engine was knocking, almost like the dreaded tensioner problem. Many respected members of this site guided me and showed me that the coils are very defective and are a first choice when dealing with detonation, ignition problems. They were correct and I believe they have been through the same problems. If you can trust this site site like I have, they can only promise you good things.

Thank you all guys. I will stop by advanced auto parts to have the code read. But I remember that I also have a few times of the error "check advancetrac", but it didn't store any code after I take the car to the AAP. Maybe because I restarted it and the code is wiped? The girl at the AAP told me that the meter can only read the engine error code, and it seems advancetrac isn't part of the engine error code. Any idea what caused this?
Too bad that 06 isn't in that ford bulletin board, although they do have a TSB for the similar problem in 06, but 06 is excluded from the extended warranty.

Thank you all guys. I will stop by advanced auto parts to have the code read. But I remember that I also have a few times of the error "check advancetrac", but it didn't store any code after I take the car to the AAP. Maybe because I restarted it and the code is wiped? The girl at the AAP told me that the meter can only read the engine error code, and it seems advancetrac isn't part of the engine error code. Any idea what caused this?
Too bad that 06 isn't in that ford bulletin board, although they do have a TSB for the similar problem in 06, but 06 is excluded from the extended warranty.

AdvanceTrac, ABS, body, climate control, parking brake, FEM, REM, cluster, SRS, and advanced engine codes can only be read by Ford specific scanners. Here's one example of such a scanner.
http://www.autoenginuity.com/order.html
Scroll down to "Total Ford ScanTool Bundle."

although they do have a TSB for the similar problem in 06, but 06 is excluded from the extended warranty.

I just checked all the TSBs and didn't find one applicable to '06. Where did you find it and what's the number? Ford finally got it right in '06.....

bad news, back from the advance auto parts, and their scanner didn't find any error code. guess I have to talk to the dealer which I really dont want to. anyone happen to know some good shop at the tampa bay area?
typing on my cell, will report back later.

My wife's '04 LS V8 Sport got the throttle body and coil problem yesterday. All of the coils were replaced today by the Lincoln dealer under the TSB. The throttle body issue is not covered. So, for about $210, today I got an oil change, all of the coils replaced (and plugs), and the throttle body problem fixed. Not bad.

bad news, back from the advance auto parts, and their scanner didn't find any error code.
Go to Ford's Genuine Service Web site ( http://www.genuineservice.com/ ) and check your warranty status; some of the late-sales '06es came with the 7/70 PowertrainCare ESP that should cover the coils. There's a $100 deductible, but it also includes covering the price of a rental while your car is in the shop.

Mine do have the 7yr/70k powertrain esp. but i checked the website and didn't find anywhere says the ignition coils are covered. Please let me know where it syas that.
THANKS

I don't see where it says it covers the coils, either. I had a couple of mine replaced, but that must have been before the 4/50 warranty expired.

Thank you all guys for the help. Got the DCCV and coil/spark plugs replaced for a few weeks now, and it seems fixed the problem. At least it is not the throttle body. Knock on the wood.

Members online

Back