dudeinthething

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well did a dumb test last night. Wanted to see what my 2003 V8 would do. Topped out @ 139mph. then hit the limiter. Is 139 the fastest for all Gen2 before hitting the limiter?
I know you can get rid of it with a tune, but I though the limiter was at 150mph, but I may be mistaken.

Yes that is about right, part of the reason for factory limiter is the speed rated factory tires, the liability of going faster then the tires can handle.

mine was just a hair over 130, its a little better that the 122 that my 1st gen V6 would hit

that's nothing. my t-bird was 105. my LS was 120 which more acceptable. I removed the limiter and have only gone over 120 twice in about 8 months. Not enough room to open her up safely around here.

you got my caddy beat!!!!!!! rev limit 115.and its a hard shut down!!!!!!!!! It realy sucks,first time I did it felt like the car hit a wall

we have discussed this before... I have had mine to 145 before my custom tune...

Top Speed

My SCT 'tune' is, at this moment, limited to transmission improvements. My '02 LS Sport V-8 has no limiter---I believe my original tires were Z rated. With 245/45ZR-18 Michelin P2 Sport tires, I've set two ECTA one mile National Records, with a best of 140.106 MPH. I let the trans auto-shift at approx 6500. One of the things I intend to explore is the possible result of manual shifting at 7K or better. Doing so will likely mean that I'll go over the finish line in 4th gear. With the additional power and extended rev limit from the engine I'm constructing, (see 'Land Speed LS' in the performance section) I may move the shift point to 7500 RPM or more. The exploration is certainly fun!
KenS from Ben's Place

My SCT 'tune' is, at this moment, limited to transmission improvements. My '02 LS Sport V-8 has no limiter---I believe my original tires were Z rated. With 245/45ZR-18 Michelin P2 Sport tires, I've set two ECTA one mile National Records, with a best of 140.106 MPH. I let the trans auto-shift at approx 6500. One of the things I intend to explore is the possible result of manual shifting at 7K or better. Doing so will likely mean that I'll go over the finish line in 4th gear. With the additional power and extended rev limit from the engine I'm constructing, (see 'Land Speed LS' in the performance section) I may move the shift point to 7500 RPM or more. The exploration is certainly fun!
KenS from Ben's Place

I have an 02 LSE V8, does this mean I don't have a limiter?

If so, good luck Pek, I can out ehhh out FAST you!

Gen1s with sport option, sport models or LSE - did not have the speed limiter and top out somewhere around 147 stock..

Gen1 base, non-sport and all Gen2 are limited at 133.

Depending on your rim/tire combo you may have a speedo mis-reading be a few mph...

Members online

No members online now.
Back