1997 mark VIII door handle broken

russofour

LVC Member
Reaction score
Can you guys help me find a replcement handle for the drivers side it has the key code pad in it and the color is linoln red. I was hoping I could just replace the handle and not the whole thing. I would change both sides if I could find just they handles in chrome. THe handle just broke while opening the door I tried to fix it but these things are made out of pot metal. Let me know if you have any info on web sites that sell this stuff ford wants $140 for the whole handle or $ 60.00 for they Handle which will need to be painted. thanks robert:)

eBay has em. Look for "continental" handles, they are the same and they are chrome. No Mark came with chrome from factory.

My passenger side broke, but I have a spare on hand luckily.

If you can get the whole assembly, it will be easier. Jamie may have one.

would that be the same year continental that is the same or a different year

I am pretty sure 93 to 98 Marks VIIIs use the same as the similar age Contis. Just not sure when the contis were made.

Sorry also will it make adifference if I get one without the key pad or will it cause me elec problems. Robert

I think you can just remove the keypad, should not matter. They only problem I could see if with the anti-theft maybe.

Can you guys help me find a replcement handle for the drivers side it has the key code pad in it and the color is linoln red. I was hoping I could just replace the handle and not the whole thing. I would change both sides if I could find just they handles in chrome. THe handle just broke while opening the door I tried to fix it but these things are made out of pot metal. Let me know if you have any info on web sites that sell this stuff ford wants $140 for the whole handle or $ 60.00 for they Handle which will need to be painted. thanks robert:)

Or these on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=006&sspagename=WDVW&category=33649&viewitem=

thats what we said too!!!!!!!!!! must have been the right color for someone, we havent sold a handle for over 50 bucks in over a year!

Wow, good one Jamie. Thats nuts. I picked up a set of that "chameleon" color for about $45 including the housings. I shipped out the driver side to someone though.

and with the onsent of cold weather there is bound to be more broken door handles.

TIP: do not pull the handle to open the door once the door is unlatched.
I only use the door handle to activate the door release, then I OPEN the door with the window frame.

Only use the handle to release the latch...this technique has saved me over the years.. hopefully it'll save someone else.. this year.

Of course they would only read this thread AFTER their door handle broke I guess.
*shruggs*

I showed the gf how to properly open the door, and then I told her that if she breaks the handle she is paying for a new one....

I ordered a drivers side and pass side in chrome, Just the handles I cant wait to get them I am tired of getting in the pass side and I locked myself out yesterday on the way to the fire house. I left the car running and shut the door to fuel it because it was cold and as you know the pass side locks when you drive. I had to ask a guy for a pair of pliers to get in it sucked..

I can help if you still need the Handle. $35.00 + Postage

simone@angeleentshirt.com 314-308-2180

I have 8 Mark VIII's for parts

Thanks found one

I tried to install the chrome handles and broke the housing.. So I odered a green housing and handle and just finished painting it. Will install it on thursday I have to work 24hrs at fire station on new years that will be fun. But I now have two chrome handles for sale if anyone wants them $60.00 shipped.

how did you break the housing trying to put it in? you must have got mad at it and turned green and showed it who was boss!!

I just performed the "driver's door handle replacement" this weekend. At the same time I painted the driver's door molding. Biggest hassle was painting it in the tri-color pearlescent white in 25 degree weather. Outside. I used a tent cover and heater to get things to the proper temps.

I couldn't take the chance the passenger side would break at the same time and make it almost impossible to get into the car.

Pretty straightforward following the instructions. I decided the leave the door molding in place vs the risk of damaging it.

Reassembly was also very smooth and the door went right back together.

Such a hassle could have been avoided if the the Ford guy that designed the handle wasn't such a moron with the metal choice and design/thickness of the lever.:(

Members online

No members online now.
Back