2000 LS Coil Pack and Plug Replacement

Grumps

New LVC Member
Reaction score
About a year ago had a mis firing and had valve cover seals and o-rings replaced and number 8 coil pack(ouch)60,000 miles. Now a year later, 72,000, having same problem, mis firing. Dealer found no oil leaks this time but number 3 coil pack was bad. Didn't drive 10 miles and had same problem. Now dealer says all coil packs needs replaced. Question-How difficult is it to replace coil packs? I'm tired of financing Fords lack of Quality Control.
Thanks,
Grumps

Thanks for the info. Also the web sight with pictures was perfect.
thanks again,
Grumps

Grumps said:
Thanks for the info. Also the web sight with pictures was perfect.
thanks again,
Grumps

no problem the props should go to surfjaxls he put me on them when I began seeking help for my V6

It should take you like 10-15 mins if that. Just a few bolts and clips and you are done. The passenger side is really easy to replace, with the driver side being a lil bit harder. Invest in a 7mm offset box wrench, I bought one of those ratcheting offset box wrenches, and it does wonders for the hard spots on the driver side cover.

here is their website. Their diagnostics tab has great techniocal article. Folks write in with their problems and the editors answer them.

lol...i got my coils from the fordpartsnetwork.com for like $30 a piece. A guy on ebay is selling some coils out of a wrecked ls for $15.

FPN reports them at 58 right now so you either have a friend or got in on a good deal. Inquiring minds want to know.

I got a deal, a member from here gave me the managers email and told me to tell them he sent me, its on one of my posts related to the 2000 v8 ignition coil threads. I cant remember if it was quikls or grayghost

yea a member in here hooked me up. Are you the same el es in the automotiveforums.com LS group? You are the one that had the step by step instructions for baking my headlight for re-sealing right? I haven't done it yet, but plan on it soon.

eL eS said:
FPN reports them at 58 right now so you either have a friend or got in on a good deal. Inquiring minds want to know.

one in the same. Let me know if you have any more questions. It is an easy job. you just have to be careful not to put the headlight directly on any metal as it will most certainly melt that spot.

eL eS said:
no problem the props should go to surfjaxls he put me on them when I began seeking help for my V6

That hurt. What about the guy who took the pictures. :) :) :) Honestly, I will have the page completed sometime.

Hi
That coil p/n 2C6Z-12029-AA (new part number) lists for $63.04 and LVC cost is $36.88. I would take a good look at the boots for burn marks from arcing. They are just like plug wires and tend to crack and then arc making it seem like a coil is weak or misfiring. The boots are p/n F7LZ-12A402-AA and list for $17.37 and LVC cost is $13.03. Of course these are each prices. I sell a lot of boots and a few coils. The coils come with boots included.
Max

Thanks for all the replies guys, I finally got the dealer to lower the price and beat on them until Ford agreed to go50/50. After the repair I am trading the LS for an 04 Aviator. I'll take the money I save on coils and spend it on gas. The LS really ran sweet after replacing all the coils.
Thanks again,
Grumps

lsbit said:
That hurt. What about the guy who took the pictures. :) :) :) Honestly, I will have the page completed sometime.

as well indeed. I apologize for the oversight. I must of had my beer thinkin helmet on at that moment. I intend to do a doc for the V6 and wouldnt want to be overlooked when credit is given out.

Now that I have ruined my standing with you I would like to ask a question of you if I may. Inregards to the sealant and the gaskets. Did you have to put a bead of sealant around the valve cover gasket or just in certain spots. I would sincerely appreciate your feedback.

eL eS said:
Now that I have ruined my standing with you I would like to ask a question of you if I may. Inregards to the sealant and the gaskets. Did you have to put a bead of sealant around the valve cover gasket or just in certain spots. I would sincerely appreciate your feedback.

hahahaha... I was just kidding. I have gotten SO much help over the years from forums like this, I just want to give anything I can back.

The only place you put sealant (on the v8s) is where the front engine cover meets the heads. It is just a tiny bead. I should have taken a picture of that, but I might be able to do some touch up work in Paint or something. :)

Yeah I have learned a great deal about cars and people through these forums.

My digital camea will do video as well so it is my plan to get as much digital photo & video as posiible and have my wife help me write the thing up. She is a tech writter and communications major so hopefully I will be able to have this out to people ready to use in a month or so. She is in two night classes this semester so I don't know what sort of access to her skill set I will have right away.

At a minimum I will post the photo's and video.

Hey you in Knoxville, Tn.... There and Kingston and Oak Ridge hold a lot of good memories for me. Gatlinburg as well. I haven't been up in a looooong time though.

eL eS said:
My digital camea will do video as well

My page will not be pretty in the slightest. :)

Yep...I am here in Knoxville. Other than last month, it has rained almost every day for the last two years, so you haven't missed too much. It is nice when the sun comes out and the smog has cleared. I have been here for 11 yrs and it is SO much different now than it was then. It is so populated now! Pigeon Forge has really changed also.

Look me up if you ever head out this way.

Members online

No members online now.
Back