2003 Lincoln LS Radiator fan wiring

dscg04lj

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello family,

I have a radiator fan out of a 03 Lincoln ls I want to use for my GM LS vortec 5.3 project. This fan is hydronic and has two sets of wire plugs, not sure if and how I can make it work like my fan which has only a power and ground wires going through a 30amp relay.

Do I need the two small green /yellow, and black/white wires for it to function? and do we know what's the Cfm rating ? Trying to figure if it's will cool down my v8 5.3 ls motor.

I believe the Model number is 3W4Z8C607BA

Please help, and thanks in advance..

20240814_133148.jpg

The green/yellow wire is power to the electronics. You can leave the motor power connected all the time and just switch the green/yellow wire on and off to turn the fan on and off.
The white/black wire is the speed control signal from the PCM. It is PWM in a particular range. If you do not connect this, the fan will go to failsafe mode and run at maximum speed.

The green/yellow wire is power to the electronics. You can leave the motor power connected all the time and just switch the green/yellow wire on and off to turn the fan on and off.
The white/black wire is the speed control signal from the PCM. It is PWM in a particular range. If you do not connect this, the fan will go to failsafe mode and run at maximum speed.
Thanks for the input. What electronics do the green/yellow wire powers? Both of the small wires will not work for my application as I am trying to use this fan on a Gm ls motor. Possible to run it with just the power and ground wires? Would it hurt if the fan always run at full speed?

The electronics that drive the motor. I don't know if you can get the motor to run without those electronics. I had assumed that it was a brushless motor (and so required the driving electronics to operate).
As it is, power to the electronics is also required to make it run.
There is evidence that running on full all the time shortens the life of the fan.

Note that the fans from the 97 (I think that is the correct starting year) Mercury Grand Marquis and Ford Crown Vic are simpler, with just low and high power inputs. They should give the same or more airflow.

The electronics that drive the motor. I don't know if you can get the motor to run without those electronics. I had assumed that it was a brushless motor (and so required the driving electronics to operate).
As it is, power to the electronics is also required to make it run.
There is evidence that running on full all the time shortens the life of the fan.

Note that the fans from the 97 (I think that is the correct starting year) Mercury Grand Marquis and Ford Crown Vic are simpler, with just low and high power inputs. They should give the same or more airflow.
Ok thanks, it will not be a candidate then. Will go back to the yard and look at what you have suggested if I can find any.

Ok thanks, it will not be a candidate then. Will go back to the yard and look at what you have suggested if I can find any.
I meant to say the 97 and up. Of course, shoot for the newest year you can find. I left the Lincoln Towncar out because I do believe that it went to a variable speed fan similar to the LS at some point.

@dscg04lj that fan will only work at high speed unless you can hook it up a varible speed controller in your project. I disconnected the white/black wire and run my 06 LS fan on high since i bought it 3 years ago with no problems.

@dscg04lj that fan will only work at high speed unless you can hook it up a varible speed controller in your project. I disconnected the white/black wire and run my 06 LS fan on high since i bought it 3 years ago with no problems.
I have it connected through a relay but fan not coming on. The 2 small wires, green/yellow, black n white are not connected. Do I need the green/yellow wire?

I have it connected through a relay but fan not coming on. The 2 small wires, green/yellow, black n white are not connected. Do I need the green/yellow wire?

I don't know how to say this any clearer than I already have.
Connect the big ground wire to ground.
Connect the big power wire to the battery. No relay needed, just have it always connected.
Connect the green/yellow wire to the relay. (Now, you can use a much smaller relay because it draws less than one amp.)
Leave the white/black wire disconnected (tape it off).
I said all this in post #2.

Sorry I may have missed that. So a relay is not needed?
My two wire fan went throw a relay that's why am lost here.
The pcm triggered the fan to come on whn temp reached a certain temp.

Possible to accomplish the same.

Here is a drawing to illustrate my understanding of your instructions.

Thank you

20240817_173353.jpg

Yes, that should work, assuming that the other connection from the fan is the power ground and is properly grounded.
In fact, you can probably eliminate the relay and connect the "12V switch power" directly to the green/yellow wire.

Yes that is ground. The fan does not come on wired as illustrated.
Will try without the relay. Should both the 12v power and the pcm fan trigger wire be connected to the green/yellow wire?

Yes, that should work, assuming that the other connection from the fan is the power ground and is properly grounded.
In fact, you can probably eliminate the relay and connect the "12V switch power" directly to the green/yellow wire.
I removed the relay and added the 12v switch power to the green/yellow, and my pcm fan trigger, and the fan comes on all the time with key on. I am hopping to get it to run when the temp signal is sent over by the pcm

Yes you will need the small/green yellow wire. The only one you won't need is the little black/white wire unless you are trying to control the speed of the fan. The big Red wire with the little yellow stripe is hot wire, The big black wire with small yellow stripe is ground. The little green wire with little yellow stripe should only become hot once vehicle is started. The little white wire with little black stripe works in conjunction with the other ground to control the speed of the fan. I hope this helps.

I got it to run on/off only when temp reaches the level by connecting the green/yellow wire to to pin 30 on the relay. Fan turns on whn temp is at 95 degrees and off at 80 degrees.

H ow much amps does the dan draws? I have two 40ams(80amps) inline fuses between fan and battery wire. I was going to use a 60amp fuse but didn't have one, so I used the 80.

Anybody knows the cfm rating for this fan? I get a good amount of air out of it.

Thanks all.

20240817_173353.jpg

Yes you will need the small/green yellow wire. The only one you won't need is the little black/white wire unless you are trying to control the speed of the fan. The big Red wire with the little yellow stripe is hot wire, The big black wire with small yellow stripe is ground. The little green wire with little yellow stripe should only become hot once vehicle is started. The little white wire with little black stripe works in conjunction with the other ground to control the speed of the fan. I hope this helps.
I made the green/yellow hot only when pcm sends a signal that the temp has reaches for fan to run. If you make it hot when car starts fan wouldn't run all the time.

I made the green/yellow hot only when pcm sends a signal that the temp has reaches for fan to run. If you make it hot when car starts fan wouldn't run all the time.
What i messaged you was what my 06 Workshop manual wiring diagram stated about the cooling fan.

What i messaged you was what my 06 Workshop manual wiring diagram stated about the cooling fan.
Totally get it and appreciate the info. I had to make that one mod so it works for my application. I am using the fan on a gm ls 5.3 into a Jeep wrangler..

Do you know what size fuse is between battery and fan wire? And how many amps the fan drows?

The wiring diagram shows the big Red/yellow wire is a 60 amp fuse and the little Green wire/yellow is 15 amp. Im not sure how many amps it draws. Thats pretty cool that you are installing a GM LS 5.3 into a Jeep Wrangler. Me and a guy i work with are fixing to do almost the same thing to his 92 YJ Wrangler. I just fixed his fuel guage not working issue. I pulled that plastic tub out of the bottom the tank and now his fuel guage reads correct. Over time those tubs warp and the sending unit arm gets hung up. Good Luck on your build!

Last edited:
I feel like my posts aren't being seen...
I don't know why you are calling me out i simply answered the OP's questions he asked me. Theres a reason that some people who come on here don't pay any attention to you Joe. Its the way you talk to people. They come looking for knowledge not some old man to get smart with them or make sarcastic comments like some bully when they don't understand. It's pathetic really.

@dscg04lj if you need the wiring diagram out of the workshop manual let me know i don't care to send it to you if it would help you.

The wiring diagram shows the big Red/yellow wire is a 60 amp fuse and the little Green wire/yellow is 15 amp. Im not sure how many amps it draws. Thats pretty cool that you are installing a GM LS 5.3 into a Jeep Wrangler. Me and a guy i work with are fixing to do almost the same thing to his 92 YJ Wrangler. I just fixed his fuel guage not working issue. I pulled that plastic tub out of the bottom the tank and now his fuel guage reads correct. Over time those tubs warp and the sending unit arm gets hung up. Good Luck on your build!
Ok, I will source a 60 amp fuse, right now it's on 80 amps for that battery wire. The green/yellow is going through the relay, so should be fine there.
The ls swap is work in progress but close to the end.

Thanks

20240722_073727.jpg

20240722_200356.jpg

20240722_073629.jpg

Members online

Back