2004 CTS problem

ladycopnj

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Help!! I just purchased a 2004 custom CTS from a small private dealer. After purchasing the car, I crashed 10 miles from the dealership!! I was told by the dealer that the differential fluid leaked out from the rear (because of a loose bolt that came 3/4 undone) which caused the rear axle to seize and tires to stop spinning. Dealer blames GM as defective part. GM stated they would not honor warantee because the car has 20inch Giovanna rims and oversized rotors. They also claimed that the rear end was "shaved" to fit the chrome exhaust. The dealer says that it is impossible to "shave rear" and that GM is just looking to get out of the work. They also that when they first flatbeded the car to GM, a mechanic stated that this was the 3rd or 4th rear that seized up that month in his shop. Has anyone heard of this problem on the 04 CTS's? Would large tires and chrome exhaust void a GM warranty?? And lastly, the dealer told me that if I put stock tires back on and bring car to another GM dealer that the warranty would still be in effect. Does anyone know anything about this? Also, if I wanted to put on winter tires and rims....what size could I use because of the larger rotors needed for the 20's? I know I asked an awful lot here....but I am pretty much mechanically useless and I NEED HELP!!!

Thanks!! :) :feedback

I would keep after the dealer and make them get into it with GM.

If GM won't honor the warranty, there must be some lemon law that would make the dealer responsible. I can't see driving a car 10 miles and both the dealer and GM putting the responsibility on you.

One of the two of them is responsible if yo upurchased the car that way. Make the dealer battle with GM.

Joeychgo said:
I would keep after the dealer and make them get into it with GM.
Thanks for the advice. This is an awesome site that I will frequent regularly and wil recommend to my friends!! :waving:

brentalan said:
If GM won't honor the warranty, there must be some lemon law that would make the dealer responsible. I can't see driving a car 10 miles and both the dealer and GM putting the responsibility on you.
Thanks for your help! This has not been an easy battle thus far! :Bang

Ouch

If the dealer did anything to void the warranty, then they should have disclosed that to you. Especially if they told you that the car comes with a warranty. You need to be very assertive with the dealer.

I don't know the details of the customization. Depending upon how radical the customization was, GM could be correct in terms of voiding the warranty.

You should thoroughly review the warranty and see if there is anything documented that supports what GM is saying. I believe the terms and conditions of the warranty are well documented. If the terms and conditions don't support GM's claim, then you need to be persistent with them as well.

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

SilverCTS05 said:
If the dealer did anything to void the warranty, then they should have disclosed that to you. Especially if they told you that the car comes with a warranty. You need to be very assertive with the dealer.

I don't know the details of the customization. Depending upon how radical the customization was, GM could be correct in terms of voiding the warranty.

You should thoroughly review the warranty and see if there is anything documented that supports what GM is saying. I believe the terms and conditions of the warranty are well documented. If the terms and conditions don't support GM's claim, then you need to be persistent with them as well.

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

:I If the dealer sold it with a warranty than THEY need to honor it. It's not GM's fault that the dealership sold you a car w/aftermarket parts on it and warrantied it. Most of the time if you modify anything, like wheels, you will void part of your warranty. The exhaust could of heated up the differential and caused a problem. However, the point still stands, the dealership gave you the warranty and they should fix it even if they have to eat it.

See dealerships get cutbacks from GM on parts that they have to warranty. Since they sold you a car w/aftermarket parts on it, GM won't warranty it, and the dealership doesn't want to fork out the cash to fix it. Keep pressing them. The only way you'll be screwed is if the warranty papers stated that they will not cover any damage caused by aftermarket parts.

good luck

Having Aftermarket Parts Can Void The Warranty. But If A Dealership Sold You A Car With Aftermarket Parts And Didn't Tell You The The Warranty Was Voided The Dealership Is Reponsible. If You Can Get A Lawyer And Have Him Takecare Of It, Or Have Him Tell You How To Get Your Car Fixed

you would probably need 17 inch wheels to fit larget rotors in. WHat brake kit does it have?

I think if so many rears are locking up, GM should do a recall or something.

Its not your problem, dont let anyone convince you it is!

The car dealer that sold you this car is resposibly for fixing the problem and its my understanding it was not a GM dealer, right? Its a used car in GM's mind and they are not obligated to repaired altered vehicles in which it can be proved the alteration caused the problem.

If the selling dealer is giving you are hard time on this, then its the selling dealer who is being dishonest IMO. If nothing, they should have immediately offered to buy that car back and refund every penny you paid. A honest dealer would take care of you, not force you into dealing with GM over a modified car.

A rear end does not suddenly go out, this car was likely abused and traded in with a problem.

Sorry to sound so negative but its not GM's fault or the GM dealer. If they said the rear end was shaved, they must have some info to support that claim. And if the selling dealer is arguing over that then is sounds like the selling dealer is trying to pass you off for something they should be fixing.

BTW-large tires, wheels, custom exhaust cause many problems but those selling them will never tell you this.

Sounds to me like you are dealing with a dishonest used car dealer, report to the local BBB, maybe there are other complains against this same used car dealer.

Members online

No members online now.
Back