2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 ???

RigsLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Yes, sorry, it's not LS related but ...

joegr, what do you know about the plugs getting stuck in the block on these ?

horror stories ? costly repairs ?

Anyone else know much about these Ford F-150 STX ?

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Powered by a 4.6L V8, this 4 door, 4 door, Black Pickup has 185643 kms on it and features a Grey interior and a 4 Spd Automatic transmission .

The millage concerns me a bit. KMS

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

That's a sexy navigator behind it. Haha.

And that truck. Maybe it's just me but its not 4 door. Haha.

I don't know much, my friend had an 05 and the computer on it was fried at 110k. It stopped working when we were towin my old 06 back home. But I think ford trucks are pretty reliable and inexpensive to repair since there everywhere. We have a 98 but it has the 5.4? Triton. 183k miles still runs like a champ. We're looking to upgrade to a 04-06 fx4 with in a year.

I prefer extended cab, but minus tacky chrome accessories that's a pretty cool looking truck.

Last edited:
@T-Money, actually the back doors are half doors.
fried the computer huh ? hmm not fun. yeah the chrome wind deflectors would be gone.

@jmtiseo, thanks for the link for sure. not so much hauling toys, just need another truck for hauling firewood, building materials and the likes. Also around here, it's best to have a nice 4X4 for the winters. My folks are snow birders and I have to haul the snow blower to their place during bad winter storms.

Thanks.

~ They have an LS on their lot as well, but I'm not looking at that.

That truck hurts my eyes. Is that really considered a 4 door? Maybe its how canada classifies them. All 2 door trucks i see here say 2 door in the ad.

Good trucks. F150/Expedition platform is very solid and doesn't have a stupid cooling system like the LS does. The transmissions don't need to have solenoid a replaced either. Only issues with some of them is the plugs getting stuck in the 5.4 but no other major issues.

It is a common issue with the 5.4 V8's......I know of at least 5 people whom had to have their heads redone due to the plugs stripping out. From what I've been told by Ford the plugs threads go past the threads in the heads and carbon up. I've also been told the cab comes off at the dealership to fix the issue. If it's under warranty then they get to foot the bill. Last I heard about the cost....a bit over a grand.

The 4.6 also has some issues with the threads pulling out....I currently am just about ready to swap heads on my older F150 due to the repaired pull out has now given away.

If you're getting plugs stuck in the block, you're doing it wrong. :D

If you consider having the 5.4L doing it wrong.

I will certainly agree that the 5.4L heads are a design mistake.

AFAIK, the 4.6L are okay.

I'm pretty sure even the 5.4's spark plugs are screwed into the heads, not the block...;)

Yeah, they're all in the head, but they are way into the head, with a lot hanging below the threads.

Dumb. Why go through all the complicated crap to make a 6 inch suicide door when it would have been much simpler, looked better and made it easier to get in and out by just making the door a bit longer. If they were concerned about the door being too long to open, hinge design could have fixed that. The 95 Lexus SC400 my son used to own had a neat hinge setup that pushed the door out from the car and forward along the fender a bit. It didn't open out very far but made a pretty large opening to get out of the car, and this was the factory setup.

Other than that, nice looking truck. I think if I owned one, I'd measure how deep the threads on the spark plug holes then cut the threads down on the plugs so they didn't go to the chamber.

The STX's were built as a half rear cab.....it's just the style of them......I owned a 89 Ranger STX and it was a bit sportier with the half rear cab. Usually the STX's have the blacked out bumpers, a bit beefier suspension then the XLT's.

BTW my 98 F150 has over 200,000 miles before it gave me any head issues. It doesn't use a drop of oil either.

Now my 4.6 (Romeo) in my Expy was a pain. I bought it and it seemed fine. Then it started burning antifreeze and one day I started it up and I had a miss......I took the valve cover off after I say the spark plug was half missing. The rocker on the head came off and valve hit the piston.....was rebuilt before I bought....so I was told. I ended up getting a remaned for under 2K. The rebuild kit for the Romeo was almost 2K alone.

Looks like a good looking truck.....how much they asking?

It is a common issue with the 5.4 V8's......I know of at least 5 people whom had to have their heads redone due to the plugs stripping out. From what I've been told by Ford the plugs threads go past the threads in the heads and carbon up. I've also been told the cab comes off at the dealership to fix the issue. If it's under warranty then they get to foot the bill. Last I heard about the cost....a bit over a grand.

The 4.6 also has some issues with the threads pulling out....I currently am just about ready to swap heads on my older F150 due to the repaired pull out has now given away.

The proper way to get the spark plugs out is turn them 1/8 of a turn and spray them down well with penetrating oil and let them soak for and hour or two. Then turn them 1/4 turn out and then back in over and over till they are out. This will help to not strip the head threads. They still will break off in the head but Lisle makes a great tool to get the piece out. I went thru this on our 04 F250. It sucked. Ford said they charge $100 a hole just to get the plugs out. The Lisle tool is $90. If you strip the head the cab and bed have to come off to remove the head.

The proper way to get the spark plugs out is turn them 1/8 of a turn and spray them down well with penetrating oil and let them soak for and hour or two. Then turn them 1/4 turn out and then back in over and over till they are out. This will help to not strip the head threads. They still will break off in the head but Lisle makes a great tool to get the piece out. I went thru this on our 04 F250. It sucked. Ford said they charge $100 a hole just to get the plugs out. The Lisle tool is $90. If you strip the head the cab and bed have to come off to remove the head.

Yeah that's what I have heard from the people I know.....On my 4.6 I was driving down the road when the plug blew right out of the head. I was able to put a new insert in and it worked for some time......last week it was giving me trouble with that cylinder again. I removed the plug and as I was the insert is now turning as well as the plug. Either the loctite let go or some of the heads threads did. I am ripping it off as soon as I can and have another head ready to drop on. Time is my enemy. At least I get to drive the LS in the mean time.

This is why I won't complain about that rear bolt on the cop cover, it could be much worse lol.

I believe you are refering to the 2 piece spark plug design that breaks when you try to remove them. Some tools have been made to help removal of the remaining piece but sometimes the heads have to come off to get them out. Its a 3V head thing from what I understand. My brother had to tear the heads off his 4.6 3V explorer as half his plugs broke when trying to change them. I am pretty sure it started in 06 on the 3v heads and was corrected in 08 so you should be fine with a 04. I have a 06 F150 5.4 3V and plan to have down time planed for the truck when the time comes.

The factory plugs in our 04 were the 2 piece. The updated, one piece plugs went back in. The tool I used was great at removing the broken piece.

@dNyce LS, sorry about that, didn't mean to post anything that would cause your eyes any grief, it's just a truck though. best you not ever visit Canada in that case, you'd go blind up here then.

@SoonerLS, my bad, I meant "heads" and you knew that. but good call.

@BlackLS06, sounds like you know from experience, I'd be happy with no transmission issues considering it's a 4X4 as well.

@purevilpleasure, yes, it's the carbon buildup on the last threads that go past into the head from what I read as well. Seafoming it and taking the plugs out only while the engine is hot, seems to work from what I read.

@joegr, thanks big guy, was hoping for that as well. does seem like a bad design, something as important as spark plugs should never have been designed where they screw into the head past the threads.

@Telco, I don't know man, it's the design of them, plenty of truck manufacturers doing the half doors, didn't realize it was a hinge issue, somehow doubt that. I don't mind it myself. I'm not looking for a full sized truck or even 4 full doors, I was thinking short box with a short wheel span, just a personal preference. I see a lot of sharp looking trucks out there but it's the king cab full 4 doors that kills it for me. Cutting the threads down on the spark plug so they don't go down deep into the chamber is simply not an option, think about it. Maybe adding washers over the plugs so they don't go down as far but that couldn't work as far as timing and TDC firing goes. I'm looking at some pics of the insides and yeah, what is it with Ford engineers, I mean who designs something like that.

@purevilpleasure, I have heard these or any of the F150 can run forever, millage for ever. A lot of trucks with the stupid rear fold down seats that fold down and passengers sitting on what looks like a piece of board about one foot in size, I like this best because the sound system would go there and easiest the say, sorry no room, good luck finding a ride.

@hite337, I was reading the forum that jmtiseo provided a link for and seems people are able to get them out succesfully but then on the other hand I've heard others snapping them off and being in a world of trouble. clearing the carbon out and helping it out along with some penetrating spray while the engine is hot to luck warm, back and forth seems to do it. What a PITA just to change the plugs on a tune up this is for sure.

~ "If you strip the head the cab and bed have to come off to remove the head."

seriously, you are not kidding me on this, right down to the frame to get the heads off ?
I'm not saying you are making things up but damn ... that's taking the whole truck apart to do engine work, seems extreme. still can't believe it, looking into it.

@purevilpleasure again, thanks I like it as well, but the chrome would be gone in two seconds followed by cutting the mufflers off and adding some quick Magnaflows. might add my big *ss tips from the LS to that truck then.

They are asking $10,995 for it but I haven't talked to them about it at all just yet.
I'm in the looking, ready to kick tires stage. I'd want them to come down below 10K unless they did the plugs on them before hand. I'm not borrowing or financing anything, it's all in before the frost/winter hits us. I'd want it for less then 10K taxes in and I'm not interested in any other BS fees, want it delivered to my drive way as well. Don't make me borrow my neighbors dealer plates.

Thanks for the input guys, always appreciate hearing from others that have owned a F150 before, I personally myself have never driven a built ford tough truck. only GMC's

Personally, it's what I'm looking for, something shortbox with no 4 doors but need the 4X4 with a lifted big stance on larger wheels. it's got to have some ponies for pulling and Fn around.

Still weighing it all out but heading to kick the tires this week on it, couple of others on my list as well.

Thanks again to all for the input. Appreciate it.

Go get em tiger......lol.

I loved my Ranger STX and swapped it for a newer XLT Ranger......it was rolled a few years back and was looking at one of those STX F150's and loved the look. I ended up getting a 98 Expy with the 4.6.

I will say I do love the 4.6 Fords........tons of power and unless they changed the design no COPs.

The 4.6 is not known for lots of power unless it a 4v and the newer ones do have cops. Only the early 4.6s used plug wires.

Even the 5.4 sohc is pretty slow unless supercharged or built.

Any Ford truck that is not a ranger is good in my book. I say buy it.

I'm guessing they didn't make the doors larger so they can use the same doors for all F-150 models.. Not sure which would be more economical, using the same doors or just modifying the cab like they did.

Not kidding bigrig. To get the head off the dealer will remove the bed and slide the cab back 12" to get the heads off. No joke.

The 4.6 is not known for lots of power unless it a 4v and the newer ones do have cops. Only the early 4.6s used plug wires.

Even the 5.4 sohc is pretty slow unless supercharged or built.

Somewhere in the mid to late 90s they switched to COPs. I had cars with the 4.6L that I kept till close to 200K miles. I had more trouble with the coil packs and plug wires than the ones with COPs. In fact, I never had a COP failure on one of the 4.6s.
The one bad issue I had was on a 1999. The intake manifold cracked. I know they fixed that problem. I don't remember if they fixed it before 2004, but I think they did.

Members online

No members online now.
Back