2005 Lincoln LS V8 Sport Overheating Issue

DHicks

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys. I hate to introduce myself to the forum with a problem but you got to do what you got to do, right? I have an 05 3.9L Sport. The inlet tube in between the thermostat and the block split, causing a overheating issue. I replaced the tube along with the thermostat and the housing. The leak stopped, but being that the was pretty much straight water in the system, the coolant would boil when the car would come to a stop or be in stop and go traffic. Turning on the heater would return the temp back to normal. I drained the radiator and added coolant and bleed the system to fix the mix and remove any air in the system. The coolant doesn't boil but the car continues to creep in temp at a stop. Turning the heater on still returns the temp back to normal. When the car starts to overheat, the fan kicks in and you can hear it get faster, then the temp starts to creep. When the car is at speed, it shows no signs of overheating, only when is slows down or stops. There is no coolant leakage and all the coolant levels are consistent. One thing I noticed today is there is no flow into the degas bottle when the car is at temp. I am completely stumped at this point and have no idea what to look at next. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

There is possibly still air in the system, needs to be bleed some more/better.
When you do so, it's best to have another person handy as to keep the revs up and be
sure to let it get up to temp so as the Thermostat gets opened and pushes through the rad.

Also ensure that the degas bottle in fact is not leaking (drips behind driver side front wheel)
and that the cap can hold pressure. You may still have a leak somewhere in the system.

GEN 2 Bleed Procedure ~ SECTION 303-03: Engine Cooling

2003-2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

Direct link to Cooling System Draining, Filling and Bleeding

Oh and Hi BTW, welcome to LVC, no worries, everyone starts with a problem related post, that's what this forum is all about.

----EDIT: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/?tabid=37

In the Tech section there is a 2004 LS Owners Manual, it applies to your 05, suggested reading material.
Take note of the recommended Coolant to be used in the second GENs. Page 266.

CAUTION: Vehicle cooling systems are filled with Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant VC-7-A
(in California, Oregon and New Mexico VC-7-B, in Canada CVC-7-A)
or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B51-A1 (yellow color)

I do believe you should be using the Gold (yellow/clear) coolant and not the green like the GEN 1 does.

Double check me on that, I'm somewhat clueless half the time.

~ Right now the problem is there is air in your system or time for a new Thermostat, inspect all other plastic cooling system parts.

Green coolant will work fine. Prestone Premixed Long-Life matches the specs.

Green coolant will work fine. Prestone Premixed Long-Life matches the specs.

Yes, the green premixed long life, not the gold/yellow stuff.

Make sure the filling and bleeding procedure is followed to the letter of the procedure linked above. However, you almost certainly (99.9%) need to replace your degas bottle too. Use the OEM part, not aftermarket on this one.

Yes, the green premixed long life, not the gold/yellow stuff.

Weird. The 2006 service manual calls for Motorcraft Premium Gold VC-7-A aka Zerex G-05 ---> http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x33004.htm~gen~ref.htm

The "gold stuff" (Hybrid OAT) is an ethylene glycol based fluid, phosphate-free, and has small amounts of silicates to inhibit rust and corrosion on aluminum components. It is used by Ford, Chrysler, Volvo and BMW. I always flush out the green stuff and replace it with Zerex G-05 in all of my vehicles. O-Reilly's sells Zerex G-05 but our local stores don't stock them on the shelves and keeps them in the back (for whatever reason).

You know, color isn't the important feature. The green premixed long life Prestone meets all those requirements. It's what I use in my BMW too.

Usually the degas bottle slowly rots and will not show signs of leakage, but if it's yellowed, replace it, then put a purge kit on the heater hose line, and purge from there with the bleeder open until all the air hisses out of it and you have a steady dribble...make sure the level at the degas bottle (or as some would call, the recovery tank) is to factory spec...I went round and round with my 2003 LS v8 on the overheating until I did this, practically replacing everything over the course of a year., and now have a smooth running LS that MOVES like a scalded dog and keeps a steady normal temp (no fluctuations whatsoever)..but purging from the heater hose will push the air out of the coolant system better than ANY Lincoln recommended process, and air in the system KILLS the plastic parts of any LS's cooling system. The air pressure building usually causes cracks to form in the plastic components...

Members online

No members online now.
Back