2007 Lincoln Town Car

angrybill

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon all Y'all,

Several years ago I destroyed a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis by bending the front end thoroughly around a tree. Much to my surprise there were no air bags apparent in the car. Fortunately the 3 point seat belts saved me from piling into the steering wheel, since I hit the tree at 35mph on cruise control. Obviously someone in the distant past had removed the air bags. This brings us to today. I have this 07 Town Car which I bought used and I am wondering how I can safely verify that the air bags that the car was originally equipped with are still there? I'd rather not use the tree technique as a test subject to find out.

#2) If the air bags have been removed from the car, would anyone care to give me any important tips about installing new air bags should I need them? I am an excellent "Heavy Line" mechanic of many decades of experience, however I have never fiddled with airbags. I'd rather not have one explode in my face while installing one.

Thanks!

Well both cars had to have air bags by Federal law??
Why do think they are missing as the manufacturer would receive a multi-million dollar fine if they are?

Well both cars had to have air bags by Federal law??
Why do think they are missing as the manufacturer would receive a multi-million dollar fine if they are?
I assume that he means the previous owner of his last car removed the airbags, maybe after they were deployed in an accident and he repaired it cheaply.

I assume that he means the previous owner of his last car removed the airbags, maybe after they were deployed in an accident and he repaired it cheaply.
Exactly! I am only guessing that the bags may not be there. That was my question; does anyone know how I can test for the presence of the airbag without firing the explosive charge. You cannot see the airbag so far as I know without disassembling the steering wheel which I do not wish to do. I have a code scanner but I am very unfamiliar with it and don't presently know how to use it to test for the presence of the airbag. Thanks guys!

The only way to be sure is physical inspection. They may not be as hard to get to as you think. For example, it is usually pretty trivial to remove the steering wheel pad that the airbag is [hopefully] in. You do not have to remove the steering wheel itself.

Electrical tests, including those done using a code scanner can only verify that the resistance of the igniter circuit is in or out of the correct range. When people cheat on the airbags, they connect a resistor with the correct value where the airbag would be connected. Electrically, there is no way to tell the difference. You have to actually go and look at it.

Joegr I thought with out the airbag connected you would have a dash light?

Joegr I thought with out the airbag connected you would have a dash light?
Not if you connect the correct resistor where the airbag is supposed to be connected. There's no way for the car to tell one from the other.

Members online

No members online now.
Back