29.99 for coils

Does anyone know how hard it is to replace those. I just paid 230.00 at the dealership for one and they are teling me I will probally to need to replace them all soon. :mad: BTW I have 77K miles on a 00'. Anyone else with a 00 when did you all replace yours?

ROLLINGMYLS00 said:
Does anyone know how hard it is to replace those. I just paid 230.00 at the dealership for one and is teling me I will probally to need to replace them all soon. :mad:

Check in the tech section there are some good articles there that shows you how to change them, not all that difficult just takes some time and patience.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/

ROLLINGMYLS00 said:
Does anyone know how hard it is to replace those. I just paid 230.00 at the dealership for one and they are teling me I will probally to need to replace them all soon. :mad: BTW I have 77K miles on a 00'. Anyone else with a 00 when did you all replace yours?

I recently replaced my COPs on my '00 (~42,000miles). Code-pull said cyl#6 was missing, so I replaced it and another one that measured (coil resistance) different than the rest w/ the only two in-stock in town I could find (NAPA, ~$57 ea). Still had misfire but no code was being thrown, so I bit the bullet and ordered 6 more from Rockauto.com for ~$37 ea and that took care of the misfires. Getting the COP covers off takes about 5 minutes. Hardest COP cover bolt to get at is the bottom-rear on the driver's side (up against the vacuum brake booster). 7mm box-end and 1/16th of a turn at a time will get it (eventually).

My recommendation, if you have a misfire and haven't replaced all the factory coils yet, do them all because the factory stuff is crap and they'll all fail eventually.

any idea how much a mechanic or dealership will charge to replace all of these, labor only

ROLLINGMYLS00 said:
The dealership was probably right. They charged me like $300.00 to replace one but it was under warranty so that's at least what the bill said. After the warranty, $230 is actually fair, I replaced my spark plugs and let me tell you it takes a lot of time depending on which side of the car your on. If it's on the exposed side you're fine. If not, plan on spending some time. I'm going to replace all of mine really soon.

beaups said:
dooney how do we go about getting the BOOTS?

well, right now i have the boots for the V6 coils. my friend is the manager at a warehouse here in miami that supplies different automotive shops/dealers overseas. so its a huge mission trying to find the right size boots. as of now you can use your old boots, as long as they are not broken or damaged.

hopefully sometime soon i will get them.

o.. thanks for your purchase

cool, ordered them off rockauto.. standard motor products is the mfr fyi

FAIK, Motorcraft is an OEM supplier of parts for Ford. Because they are so cheap, my guess is that they are old production numbers. No guess as to how long they would last. If you have the money, you can wait and see if GMS comes out with any HD coils, or buy 8 of the Motorcraft ones and just start changing them out when the one's in your car start failing.

Members online

Back