5 speed V8

mahnkal

New LVC Member
Reaction score
is there anyway you can put v8 motor in a v6 5 speed? just a thought in the back of my head, casue it would be a really fun car to drive

yes. Don't ask how much it costs, though. It hasn't been done yet. Getting an engine /trans to mate up is probably the least of the issues.

I'm guessing for the cost, you can buy another car that would be even more fun to drive than a 2 ton luxobarge with limited aftermarket options, and mediocre performance at best (without modification).

I'm guessing for the cost, you can buy another car that would be even more fun to drive than a 2 ton luxobarge with limited aftermarket options, and mediocre performance at best (without modification).

wow....shot thru the heart.....:mad:

The 5 speed manual in the V6(GetRag) can not handle the torque of a the V8.

wow....shot thru the heart.....:mad:

Well if one is looking at it from a pure driving performance standpoint, there are other cars that are better/cheaper to modify (instead of dropping 30-45K on mods to do a v8 manual swap in an LS).

Don't get me wong, I love my LS, but if I were to buy a car from a pure performance standpoint (instead of aesthetics, which was my reason for purchasing the LS), I probably would not have bought an LS.

The "mediocre performance" statement I believe is true, especially with the modifier of "without modification." Throw a tune, lsd, springs, exhaust, gears, and a stall, and it's a completely different car to drive.

I am a Lincoln LS ENTHUSIAST. Which means I appreciate the car for what it is, I enjoy driving it, I enjoy the looks. But I don't think it's the best car on the road by any stretch. Those who believe the latter would be referred to as an LS FANATIC. They believe it's the fastest, sleekest, OMG sexiest bestest car on the road.

The 5 speed manual in the V6(GetRag) can not handle the torque of a the V8.

That's what I'm worried about. There was a guy on craigslist in another state that was looking for a manual transmission case because he blew a hole in the side of his. I shouldn't asked what he did to do that.

If you really wanted to do a v8 in the 5 speed then you'd want a complete donor v8 car so you can get all the wiring, fuel lines, emission equipment(if applicable), ecu, etc. I'm wondering how the ecu would handle not have a transmission to control.

If my engine ever goes I'm going to put the Jag v6 long block in. It's good for 30 HP more (20 compared to 02') because of different heads. Then I'd get a dyno tune and call it good.

Well if one is looking at it from a pure driving performance standpoint, there are other cars that are better/cheaper to modify (instead of dropping 30-45K on mods to do a v8 manual swap in an LS).

Don't get me wong, I love my LS, but if I were to buy a car from a pure performance standpoint (instead of aesthetics, which was my reason for purchasing the LS), I probably would not have bought an LS.

Yup. I was originally looking to get into a mark VIII but while looking came across several LS and remembered that they had a manual option and decided that would be better for me as a DD being 4 doors and all.

If I remember my reading right the 5spd manual could only handle up to 250hp/torque. And the auto went up to 350, which is why v8's only came with the auto. I could be off but it sounds about right.

Many have thought about doing this, but no one has. As mentioned above, too many issues to overcome.

How much was that 6 speed in the Mclaren LS? Wouldn't it be better going that route

The cost of the transmission hasn't been the issue for the swap. Its all the other unknowns that put this idea in neutral... or park....

How much was that 6 speed in the Mclaren LS? Wouldn't it be better going that route

It was a one off Tremec with a one off custom made bell housing made for the 1st gen electronics. All that now would cost more than the LS.

If I remember my reading right the 5spd manual could only handle up to 250hp/torque. And the auto went up to 350, which is why v8's only came with the auto. I could be off but it sounds about right.
The 5R55 transmissions can handle 550 ft-lbs of torque; that's what the "55" means.

550lbs/ft of torque before the converter locks to a ratio of 1:1.

The torque converter acts as a multipler until locked - meaning at the extreme is will double your torque - continually falling off until 1:1 lock. That's why a higher stall helps the car launch better - it allows the engine to use more of the torqu curve, and the converter multiplying before it locks to a 1:1. the engine is still putting out the same torgue.

So, depending on your torque output, and where the peak is, multipled by the converter - 550lbs/ft is not all that much.

The 5R55N is used in the explorer, and the R55S is used in the Mustang - both put down much more torque than the average LS.

Members online

Back