93 mark vlll diff. change

fola1968

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 mark vlll wanting to change gear ratio to 3.55 or 3.73 I heard there maybe a complete housing with one of these ratios from ford from another vehicle and you just had to use the original diff. cover the rear mounts was the only difference was wondering if any one knows if this is true and if true what vehicle it would be found in,Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
FRPP used to sell a Cobra center with 3.73 and a Trac-Loc, but it is no longer available new.

Any normal rotation 8.8 gear sets will fit, from/for a solid axle or IRS.

28 spline trac-loc, only thing is a slight bevel to the side gear so the axle can snap in (I think lots of people remove the snap rings and the axles will never move enough to slide out).

Thanks for the info as im wanting to do a complete housing swap and keep the original one as is,looking for a ready to drop in housing already containing the lower ratio. From another vehicle

If you want to run 31-spline 03-04 Cobra half-shafts (axles), you can also use the Explorer/Mountaineer Trac-Lock carrier (not the entire housing) as it is 31-spline.

86-98 GT Mustang carriers will work, as they are 28-spline Trac-Lock as well. 87-88 Thunderbird TurboCoupes with the Autos were 3.73 Trac-Lock 8.8" and the stick cars were 3.55 Trac-Lock.

Whatever trac-Lock carrier you use, BE SURE to remove the circlips (snap rings) on the axle stubs that slip into the carrier (as anything but the Cobra gear will not have the bevels in the gear to allow the use of the clips). If you don't, your axles will snap securely into place, NEVER to be removed again!

thanks for all the info yep im new to the mark vlll and appreciate all the upgrade info I can get love the car 93 mark vlll all original except has coil springs 110k miles

Members online

No members online now.
Back