a/c not coming on?

kmurda456

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
A/c blows cool air but a/c compressor not kicking on...what can this be? Could the dcc valve do this or can this be a fuse or relay????

It could be a lot of things, but it is probably that your R-134a refrigerant level is too low for the compressor to operate.

The AC clutch power and DCCV power are on the same fuse, so yes a DCCV short could blow that fuse and prevent compressor operation. However, we know that isn't the case with you because you would be getting very hot air out.

When the refrigerant pressure goes too low, there is a switch on the low pressure side of the system that will prevent the compressor clutch from engaging. This is to protect the compressor.

The PCM can lock out the compressor if certain engine problems exist. Is your check engine light on?

You could have a DATC fault. Have you run the self test?

You could have a wiring fault.

You could have a bad clutch.

But, you most likely have a leak and have lost your R-134a.

It could be a lot of things, but it is probably that your R-134a refrigerant level is too low for the compressor to operate.

The AC clutch power and DCCV power are on the same fuse, so yes a DCCV short could blow that fuse and prevent compressor operation. However, we know that isn't the case with you because you would be getting very hot air out.

When the refrigerant pressure goes too low, there is a switch on the low pressure side of the system that will prevent the compressor clutch from engaging. This is to protect the compressor.

The PCM can lock out the compressor if certain engine problems exist. Is your check engine light on?

You could have a DATC fault. Have you run the self test?

You could have a wiring fault.

You could have a bad clutch.

But, you most likely have a leak and have lost your R-134a.

Thanks for all the info but I took it to my friends shop n he did a complete flush n refilled it with r-134a n it still isn't kicking on and there is no leaks because its holding its pressure...the check engine light isn't on...don't have any engine problems...I don't know what else to check...

Thanks for all the info but I took it to my friends shop n he did a complete flush n refilled it with r-134a n it still isn't kicking on and there is no leaks because its holding its pressure...the check engine light isn't on...don't have any engine problems...I don't know what else to check...

Did you do the DATC self diagnostics?

Did anyone check to see if there is power at the AC clutch?

The "shop" should be able to pull up and run through the detailed Ford troubleshooting chart for this specific problem. Why didn't they?

Did you do the DATC self diagnostics?

Did anyone check to see if there is power at the AC clutch?

The "shop" should be able to pull up and run through the detailed Ford troubleshooting chart for this specific problem. Why didn't they?

Didn't get to do everything cause I had to leave so that's my fault but he did check if the clutch is getting power and it is...

Didn't get to do everything cause I had to leave so that's my fault but he did check if the clutch is getting power and it is...

Okay, then I don't understand the question.

If the clutch is getting power and the AC compressor is not turning - then the clutch is bad and there's no mystery. The solution would be to replace it.

(I assume that when you say "a/c compressor not kicking on" that you mean exactly that - the clutch is not engaging.)

Also, how could they correctly flush and refill it without the AC clutch engaging? Did they just guess at the fill levels?

Okay, then I don't understand the question.

If the clutch is getting power and the AC compressor is not turning - then the clutch is bad and there's no mystery. The solution would be to replace it.

(I assume that when you say "a/c compressor not kicking on" that you mean exactly that - the clutch is not engaging.)

Also, how could they correctly flush and refill it without the AC clutch engaging? Did they just guess at the fill levels?

when they hooked up there gauges to see where it stands at i had high pressure i believe in my low side and thats when they flushed the whole system with the air-vac and then tried to refill it with r-134a and the a/c still didnt come on...

Members online

No members online now.
Back