A/C not working correctly and getting code 2426

LS-jsf

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've read here about checking your A/C air temp when you first start the car and see if it starts cold then warms up or just starts warm, etc to tell if it needs a charge or it's the DCCV. Ours starts out cold(ish) and then gets warmer, but still feels slightly cool, not warm. When doing the self diagnosis on the dash we get code 24 26. I have found something joegr put up before that it means: B2426 Pass Solar Radiation Sensor Circuit Open DATC - We have a 2003 LS V8 Sport.

So what problem do we have, is it related to the A/C not working correctly? Years ago as I recall if your AC started off cold and kind of warmed up, it was just in need of (then) Freon. I guess the lower pressure port on the LS is somewhat difficult to get at? (Damn, they always make it harder on purpose). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

The sun load sensor is not keeping it from cooling well. You need to monitor high and low side pressures to know what is going on.

This part is new to me, what am I looking for here, what potential problem(s) come from this code? Thank you.

This part is new to me, what am I looking for here, what potential problem(s) come from this code? Thank you.

Not much at all. The sun load sensor is working on both of mine, and it really doesn't seem to do much of anything. The sun load feature on my Grand Marquis was very noticeable and worked well. It instantly increased airflow when the sun would come out or the car moved out of the shade.

Do your automatic headlights work? (same sensor)

Just noticed a couple of days ago that the headlights were on during the day while on automatic, so that explains that, thank you joegr. So that 2426 code has nothing to do with the A/C not working correctly then?

Is the sun load sensor the small round object right in the middle of the dash close to the windshield? Does the dash have to be moved to replace this part?

What is the Sentinel Sensor do? (xw4z-13a018-aa) If I'm understanding correctly it is located right next to the Sun Load Sensor? (XW4Z-19E663-AA) Should that be replaced at the same time?

Before you order any parts, try and clean the contacts in the connector and sensor itself. Reseat the wired connection to the sensor a couple of times, see if it starts to work ... sometimes we get lucky with reseating electrical connections.

Worth a shot. 50/50 chance.

What is the Sentinel Sensor do? (xw4z-13a018-aa) If I'm understanding correctly it is located right next to the Sun Load Sensor? (XW4Z-19E663-AA) Should that be replaced at the same time?

There's only one sensor there, and it is the XW4Z-19E663-AA. The other sensor you indicated is for some other car.

There's only one sensor there, and it is the XW4Z-19E663-AA. The other sensor you indicated is for some other car.

I was looking at a post here from 2010 that mentioned the other part was needed. joegr told someone to ask Max to look it up. I guess the info was incorrect on that post, thanks for clarifying that.

Ambient light sensor

TomServo92 said:
Is this a multi-function part? I did some googling and the sunload sensor is part of the HVAC system. Does it also control the automatic lights?

Tom you are correct...and on the LS there is another sensor right next to that one and it is called an amplifier..p/n xw4z-13a018-aa 45.98 list and 26.90 LVC. On most cars that sun load does it all.

Before you order any parts, try and clean the contacts in the connector and sensor itself. Reseat the wired connection to the sensor a couple of times, see if it starts to work ... sometimes we get lucky with reseating electrical connections.

Worth a shot. 50/50 chance.

Thanks RigsLS.

Members online

No members online now.
Back