Adding RCA's to your navigation system... How To:

crouvalis

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I posted this over at LLSOC, and I thought I'd post it over here for my LS homies over here as well.

I just wanted to go ahead and post about my experience with the adapter for the THX system that gives you a set of RCA inputs. After installation, a button will automatically be added. It will be below the CD button on the bottom right labeled CDDJ. That will bring you to a screen that has all your external CD changer controls. Now, if you are using a device like an iPod, like I am, this screen does nothing for you except switch between sources on the head unit. You still have to control the iPod with the iPod. Now, another solution to that problem is to go with a wireless remote. Plugs into the top of the iPod, and now you have a WIRELESS remote to control your device. Obviously, if an iPod isn't something you'd be interested in, disregard, but the RCA's, no matter what you decide to go with, definitely adds functionality to the otherwise expansionless THX Navigation system. Until now, in order to hardwire anything, you would have had to replace your $3000 head unit.

First of all: Andrew... thank you so much, again, for all your help finding me exactly what I needed.

Now, on to the install.

If you've ever taken apart your center console, you know that it's pretty damn easy. If you don't know how to take it apart, it may take you a bit longer, but not much. I'll describe how to install the adapter for those who know how to take the dash apart, for those who don't, I believe there is a "How To" and it tells you.

Now, I have MobileEase, and I was worried that since I already have that plugged in to the back of the Nav. system, that it may create a problem piggy-backing AGAIN. Prior to me ordering, Andy assured me that he had gotten a few testimonials saying that it shouldn't be a problem.

Alas, the adapter comes in the mail. I instantly grab my tools, which include a socket wrench, 2 sockets ( I can't recall what sizes, but I'll post them later), a phillips screwdriver, and my pocket knife. Then, I take apart the center console, remove the vents, ash tray, and finally the head unit. Looking in the back of the unit, I notice that there really isn't a whole lot of room back there. Hmm... this may present a problem. Nah...

Pre plugging in the adapter, I have my MobileEase plugged into the head unit, then the factory harness' plugged into them. At this point, all I had to do was unplug MobileEase from the THX system, plug the adapter into the head unit, then plug MobileEase, which has my factory harness still plugged into it, back into the adapter that I just installed. Couldn't possibly get most simplistic. Now I have a series of 3 piggy-backs: Head unit-PIE adapter-MobileEase-factory head unit harness.

Now, the difficult part. How do I possibly fit all these wires into the back of the navigation system? If you've ever looked behind there, it's not a pretty sight, and doesn't leave a whole lot of room to play with. When I originally installed MobileEase, I ended up having to install it above my glovebox to avoid over-crowding behind the radio. After messing with wires, pushing and pulling, all while getting cut 9,000,000 times by the razor sharp edges of the plastic behind the dash, I decided to go back through the glove box and see if I could do anything from there. This much I know... If it werent for an extra set of hands provided by a friend of mine, I'm not sure this could have been accomplished. While he ever so slightly inched the nav. system back towards it's home position, I reached from the glovebox through a hole about 2" in diameter, and grabbed as much wiring harness as I could, and pulled it through. FINALLY, it fits! Thank God!

So: total ellapsed time for install....

- 3 min. to take apart dash
- 3 min. to remove necessary parts from dash to complete job. (I.E. Nav., vents, ask tray)
- 2 min. to unplug harness, plug in new adapter, and reattach new harness
- 45 min. to get all wires to fit behind dash. (No joke)

It was a mighty task, but all in all... I'd do it 10 more times for the capabilities you get because of it. As soon a I buttoned it up, I ran my RCA to mini under the center console, and plugged in the iPod. I recently bought a Cell phone holder/PDA mount and it was a fantastic investment. Holds everything in place and doesn't get in the way of anything. Not even the passengers leg room. Covered in black leather, it looks factory. Now I have a holder that takes care of the PDA and the iPod.

All in all, I'd day this project carries a difficulty level of about a 3 out of 10. The hardest part being that you have to finaggle the wires behind the dash. Aside from that, there's nothing about this project that should scare anyone away.

If I've left out any crucial information, please feel free to ask away. It was a fun project, that ended up with results I've been wanting for a long time. I'm a happy camper...

-Chris

Here's a pic of the PDA mount.
PIEinstall2.jpg

Thats awesome bro. I little time spent with the ride. Im glad you got it all settled.

Members online

No members online now.
Back