Air suspension Rides Higher & Stiffer than Norm

blekberg

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought a 98 LM8 LSC recently in Chicago (April) to replace my old 98 LM8 LSC and this one's air suspension runs higher and stiffer than others. The suspension seems to operate normally (inflating and deflating on start-up and high speed, quick cornering etc), but the ride height is about 2+" higher than normal). Not sure if it's riding at the max, but the rear end skips excessively over the smallest bump/expansion joint - it rides much better with weight in the trunk, but it runs like a Trans Am - no give in the suspension and pancake flat.

While the car runs like a T/A (3.73, Chip, Cat Back, Ram Air Intake), I need it to be a little more forgiving.

Any ideas? Would it be some kind of release valve, leveler (like on a toilet tank), ride height sensor or what? (And, what are the standard settings for any/all of these??)

This car has 46k on it and is cherry - need a bit of a softer & better handling ride - nothing like running it at 100+ and having it shift side to side on the road.

Thanks for the help!! I REALLY appreciate the assists!! Long live the LM8!!

He needs his own theme music when he is online... That way the newbs can get out of the water.... :D

BABWUMP......... BABWUMP.......... BABWUMP........... BABUP.. BABUP.. BABUP.. AHHHHHHHHHHHH ITS A FROG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Is the check suspension message coming on for a second or two(proveout), then off at startup?.....or is it coming on and staying on after startup?

If your not getting a check suspension message, other than the normal proveout, the problem maybe just an adjustment. Some people like their cars ride higher for whatever reason.

No check suspension error - it just rides really stiff and shimmy from side to side when going over expansion joints at speed. I have to figure it is an adjustment issues alone. Just figured out it has positraction today too. Lots of surprises on this beast. Now I just have to figure how to adjust them.

To those who say to go conventional, I agree - being a bit lower and tighter is a reality with conventional, but nothing beats coming at someone on a dual interstate offramp at about 80mph and blowing by them as they slow. Minutes later (while waiting for the light) they pull up and they get to see my suspension rise up from being all "hunkered down". Nothing like a screaming sleeper....

Members online

No members online now.
Back