Another Newb from Boston chiming in with a few questions

BostonLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Just bought a White Pearl Tri-coat Metallic 2002 LSV8 Sport. 36,000 miles. 20K. No previous issues or problems with the car. I absolutely love it. Drive as much as I can. Only getting 16 MPG but I'll live with it for now. I actually find myself standing on the front porch (avoiding the snow, I live in Boston) staring at this thing under the street lights at night. It's f-ing beautiful.

Probably not going to do much in the way of mods. I might put on the cone at the intake. I had a VW GTI VR6 that I put one in and used to make people's head snap with the growl when you hit the gas. Great sound, although probably negligible HP gain. A few questions though:

1. Is there a cone/heat shield package available yet? If not, am I going to lose that much HP without the heatshield?

2. What does everyone use to protect/clean the interior leather/vinyl/wood?

3. What do you all do for work? A few of you have so much knowledge, it's hard to imagine that you don't work in the auto industry. I just don't have the time to learn everything that I have read on this web page.

Great web page by the way, I've been pretty unproductive at work the last week reading the 38+ pages of forum.

Waiting for the warm weather...

KJK

I cannot give you any advice on heat cones, as for cleaning I plan on taking my car to Ziebart Tidy car for an initial interior cleaning. Then going to buy some quality car care products to maintain the inside. I second that looking at the LS is a beautiful thing. I found myself geting out of bed and looking through the blinds the first night I had my car. Sad I know, but hey it's a LS

:W 2 :V

Most heat shields are DIY home fabs.

I have had my car and its laundry list of problems for 5 years now and still get a starry eyed. My wife said something about this morning when she was backing out in her car.

I havent had much luck with gas milage probably becasue 99 % of my driving is hwy at 80mph +/- a few mph's.

I am in the IT business and work on SQL DBs for the behavioral health care industry which is odd becasue I studied to become an electrical engineer, only opportunities i that field are sales jobs these days. I have been a techie all the way back to high school where I studied Elctricity/Electronics. I spent several years in the USN where I worked on combat systems that involved everything from E/E, hydraulics, pneumatics and mechanics plus I got to blow the :q of out a lot of :q oh what fun.

Don't worry about learning it all right now it will come with time. The more time you spend with your car and the more you are involved with the LS community the more you will learn. If you do have aspirations to be a DIYer I would recommend shopping for shop manuals and/or the DVD and some basic hand tools for now.

Welcome to LVC I am certain you will enjoy your stay.

:W to :V You will definetly love this car. I have very few mods on mine. But I'm a little slow at doing things. Everytime I'm behind the wheel its a blast. This is a great site enjoy.

:W I had to go check out in the parking lot cause I thought you bought my car... I hope you enjoy your new baby as well as the time you spend here at :V

Boston, You did ask a question about cleaners. I only use Lexol on the leather. As far as cleaning glass. Any glass cleaner is good. I have the woodgrain kit on my car, again I clean that with glass cleaner. I also use the Lexol on the dash & door panels. This to me is the best product for leather. I
ve had many cars with leather, I like it the best. You can look through older threads and find info on CAI.... Good luck, Enjoy

Thanks for the help everyone. If the weather ever changes up here, I might actually clean this thing...it's been raining all week and isn't planning on letting up till next week...golf is a mere four months away at this point...D@mn!

BostonLS said:
Thanks for the help everyone. If the weather ever changes up here, I might actually clean this thing...it's been raining all week and isn't planning on letting up till next week...golf is a mere four months away at this point...D@mn!

sh :) :) t we started... well actually it hasn't stopped down here. :N

BostonLS said:
Hello all. Just bought a White Pearl Tri-coat Metallic 2002 LSV8 Sport. 36,000 miles. 20K. No previous issues or problems with the car. I absolutely love it. Drive as much as I can. Only getting 16 MPG but I'll live with it for now. I actually find myself standing on the front porch (avoiding the snow, I live in Boston) staring at this thing under the street lights at night. It's f-ing beautiful.

Probably not going to do much in the way of mods. I might put on the cone at the intake. I had a VW GTI VR6 that I put one in and used to make people's head snap with the growl when you hit the gas. Great sound, although probably negligible HP gain. A few questions though:

1. Is there a cone/heat shield package available yet? If not, am I going to lose that much HP without the heatshield?

2. What does everyone use to protect/clean the interior leather/vinyl/wood?

3. What do you all do for work? A few of you have so much knowledge, it's hard to imagine that you don't work in the auto industry. I just don't have the time to learn everything that I have read on this web page.

Great web page by the way, I've been pretty unproductive at work the last week reading the 38+ pages of forum.

Waiting for the warm weather...

KJK

Well, welcome indeed. Lots of good folks on this site and a lot of good will --except toward Ford and the LM dealers (stealers as some call them). With my 4 year warranty I've been lucky so far with my dealer so I can't bash them yet.
I'm an older guy, so no mods to my 03 Premium Sport.
My mileage has been 23-25mpg on the highway running 60's-70's and a few bursts above that. Around suburbia I get 17-19 mpg. Car is still tight with just over 6K on the clock. Expecting improved mileage after 10-12K assuming I can keep my foot out of it. Tuff to do cause the car is a blast.
Like Fordman I use only Lexol on the leather. Been using it on my Mark VII for 15 years, horse saddles, furniture and my wifes Avalon and don't think there is much better for leather. Black magic is my choice for the dash. Seems to last and not evaporate and gum up the windshield.
When the weather breaks take your LS up to some of those twisties in NH and SMILE! lol, Linclonlov

:W to the LVC, if your in Boston proper, I'm 20 miles south of you, join the NE Chapter, we meet every Wed night between 9-9:30

Members online

No members online now.
Back