Article: Do You Really Need Premium?

JPsBored

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Thought u guys might like to read this.. very interesting,,lol esspecially since i been running 93 octane at $2.57 a gallon

Do You Really Need Premium?
And Answers to Other Gasoline Questions
By Edmunds.com Editors
Date Posted 07-05-2005

Buying premium gas is like taking vitamins — you can't always feel the difference and yet you know it's the right thing to do. But as gas prices climb, paying the extra dime per gallon for premium is like adding insult to injury. Eventually, the thought is bound to jump into your head: do I really need to pop for premium?

Until about 15 years ago, if a car called for premium gas and you pumped in regular, the car began to knock and ping and even vibrate. But that was before they essentially put a laptop under the hood of the automobile, said Dr. Loren Beard, senior manager of Environmental and Energy Planning, for Daimler Chrysler. Now, sensors take readings and tune the engine as you drive by adjusting the timing for whatever fuel you put in the tank.

The result is that a car that calls for the midgrade gasoline will usually run on regular without knocking, Beard said. However, its performance will suffer slightly. How much? It will be perhaps a half-second slower going from zero to 60 mph.

Volvo cars call for "premium fuel [91 octane or better] for optimum performance and fuel economy," said Wayne Baldwin, product/segment manager S60/S80. "However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using 87 octane as the knock sensors and engine management system 'protect' the engine from knocking."

Baldwin, a former rally driver who competed in SCCA Pro Rally events said that engines have changed a lot in the past 15 years. "Cars built before 1990 probably do not have knock sensors and many brands back then relied on high-compression ratios for the best performance. Today [performance comes from] electronically controlled spark curves, turbos, variable valve timing, supercharging and knock sensors."

Issues of performance aside, Baldwin said you should never use gasoline that causes your car to knock. "Constant knocking or detonation is a real bad thing for engines," he said.

When choosing what grade of gasoline to use, Steve Mazor, principle auto engineer for Auto Club of Southern California, said it is important to read the owner's manual carefully. The key is to figure out whether premium gasoline is "required" or "recommended." If it is recommended then a driver could opt to use a lower grade of gas, if they were willing to accept slightly reduced performance and fuel economy.

However, Mazor added, "We don't recommend that people switch down. Let's say you switch down to regular, and you have to accelerate to avoid an accident and it doesn't accelerate fast enough. The Auto Club can't be responsible for causing that situation."

Edmunds.com has a Volvo S40 in its fleet, so we consulted the owner's manual to see the exact phrasing in regard to fuel requirements. It said, "Volvo engines are designed for optimum performance on unleaded premium gasoline with an AKI (Anti Knock Index) of 91 or above. The minimum octane requirement is AKI 87." It appears that Volvo is making a recommendation for premium gas but is not requiring it.

In Edmunds.com's Forums debates abound over the pros and cons of using different fuel grades. One member even suggested there was only one type of gasoline, no difference — except for price — between regular and premium. Other members recommended using premium gas even if the manual called for regular. We put this question to Mazor and Beard.

Mazor: "All this does is do a very good job of draining your wallet. People used to put in a tank of premium to get 'the good stuff' to help their engines stay clean. But now they put detergents in all grades so it doesn't really get you anything."

Beard: "If you have car designed to run on 87 [octane], it doesn't help to run it on higher-octane-level gas. But there are several exceptions." He said that the 3.5-liter Chrysler engines are designed to run on midgrade gas (89 octane) and it allows them to advertise a certain peak horsepower. However, it will run well on regular gas. "The difference is very small," he said.

Interestingly, Mazor noted that at some gas stations, there are only two grades of gas. However, they blend the regular and premium at the pump to produce the midgrade gasoline. This allows them to have only two underground tanks for the gas storage.

In Edmunds' forums some drivers expressed concern about the quality of gas sold at independent gas stations and advised sticking to the so-called "name" brands of gasoline.

"Typically the only difference is the additive package they put in the gas," Beard said. The additive package is often put into the gas as the tanker is filled up at the refinery. A common additive is a detergent agent. "The law requires a certain level of detergents in gasoline. Shell for example is putting in more detergent — whether that has a measurable effect to the driver is debatable."

Detergents have a marked effect on engine deposits. "If you take apart a modern engine that has been running on a modern fuel, and compare this to an old engine that was running on old gas, you can see an obvious difference," Mazor said.

The biggest difference between today's gas and the gas sold 15 years ago is the removal of lead. Taking out the lead, and developing effective catalytic converters to more completely burn emissions, have radically cut pollution.

While oil companies like to advertise the magical powers of their gasoline, it appears that there is very little difference between brands. Most drivers fill up at the nearest gas station or the one for which they carry a credit card.

Does a gas expert like Beard have a preference when buying gas? "I just watch the light on the dash. After it has been on for a day I get nervous and go to the closest station available."

Good article, I think. Didn't read the whole thing. The only thing I would add os the adaptive driving the computer 'learns' with extensive driving. Shift points, etc firm up with more aggresive driving, etc.

Blah.

captainalias said:
So do the LS-6/8 require or recommend premium?

the v8 has 91 octane,, now i need to read if it is required or recommended. need to get manual.

Never "REQUIRED', always recommended. For N/A cars , compression ratio always determines what you NEED to run. If you can live with less than optimum performance and would like save $.20/gallon over 18 gallons, by all means the regular stuff will do just fine. BUT, if you want to get into it all the time, I would certainly run some better stuff or add an octane booster (which, btw, adds about the same cost/gallon as just buying the higher octane).

I do not trust the knock sensor and computer enough to run 87 octane in my engine. Lincoln can't even make a thermometer or fuel mileage indicator that works right.

The Owner's Manual indicates that it is recommended; however, the sticker inside the fuel door says 91+, and in May, there was a notice from Ford that includes the following statement in regard to the 3.9L V8:
ENSURE THE CUSTOMER IS AWARE THAT PREMIUM UNLEADED FUEL WITH A MINIMUM OF 91 OCTANE IS REQUIRED.
From the '04 Owner's Manual:
Choosing the right fuel
Repairs to correct the effects of using a fuel for which your vehicle was not designed may not be covered by your warranty.

Octane recommendations
Your vehicle is designed to use “Premium” unleaded gasoline with an (R+M)/2 octane rating of 91 or higher for optimum performance. The use of gasolines with lower octane ratings may degrade performance. We do not recommend the use of gasolines labeled as “Premium” in high altitude areas that are sold with octane ratings of less than 91. Do not be concerned if your engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if it knocks heavily under most driving conditions while you are using fuel with the recommended octane rating, see your dealer or a qualified service technician to prevent any engine damage.

I dont see the point in using a cheaper fuel. Honestly me personally right now i cant afford to put a motor in the ls so i just spend my $45 and fill up the friggin tank. Plus If Your sooo soncerned with every single mile you get from your fuel maybe a v8 lincoln isnt the optimum decision. Hyundai makes cars too (lol)

i dont think the gas octane is that much of an issue if u ur car needs 91 and u put in 89,, now i do think if u go from 91 down to 87 that will not be good.

my ls says needs 91,, but here in mass, not many places have 91 , its either 92 or 93.

so i am buying more than car needs and i think that is a waste of money.

butthan it depends where u get ur gas,, if ur buying mobil, sunoko, shell, u can probably get away with a point or 2 less octane,, than if ur buying gas at joe bob;s local station.

but the lsis such a damnnnn sensitive car, tyhat i dont want to piss it off by useing 87 cheap gas,, so i will juice her up with the best crap i can get,,lol

to bad they dont sell that 103 octane like back in the day,, close to rocket fuel..lol

2k2ls said:
I dont see the point in using a cheaper fuel. Honestly me personally right now i cant afford to put a motor in the ls so i just spend my $45 and fill up the friggin tank. Plus If Your sooo soncerned with every single mile you get from your fuel maybe a v8 lincoln isnt the optimum decision. Hyundai makes cars too (lol)
I agree with you on this one. The way I figure it, I usually put about 15 gallons in my tank every fill-up and am only spending an extra $2.50.......i'm pretty sure I an handle that. And you're also right..........if you're concerned about fuel costs, buy a Hyudai (at least they have a helluva warranty.......lol)

well my contiental 4.6 v8 also only premium goes in there but ill admit if im on an empty tank and gass is like 2.79 agalon wich it gets to somtimes
ill go get a can of dry gass wich i have 2 casses in the garage and a octane booste wich i have 1 case in the garage of and
then ill mix that with like 3 or 4 gallons of 89 just untill the next day when gass yously gose down

bigdog1279 said:
well my contiental 4.6 v8 also only premium goes in there but ill admit if im on an empty tank and gass is like 2.79 agalon wich it gets to somtimes
ill go get a can of dry gass wich i have 2 casses in the garage and a octane booste wich i have 1 case in the garage of and
then ill mix that with like 3 or 4 gallons of 89 just untill the next day when gass yously gose down

lol...atleast i dont live in cali,, heard some places there paying like 5$ a gallon.

yeah thats true not 5 but it,s around 3.5 a gallon
dad gose to LA he works there every other week in the month and rents cars
sess the places by the airport charges 3.25 for regular

I have never run anything but 89 in my V-6 and have never had a problum. The knock sensor will look out for the engine, it is not rocket science. Went to the mountains on vacation last week and used 93, working hard at high altitude. I would not use 87 anytime.

well that is a v6 but the v8s in the 4.6 have to have premim

yea think v6 to a v8 lil bit of a difference. but i agree that 89 of good quality gas is fine.

but when u loook at it, its like another 1-2$ difference when u fill it with higher octane,, so when u break it down,, its silly to not put in the better grade.

Pete 2004 LS V-6 said:
I have never run anything but 89 in my V-6 and have never had a problum. The knock sensor will look out for the engine, it is not rocket science. Went to the mountains on vacation last week and used 93, working hard at high altitude. I would not use 87 anytime.
Actually at high altitude you'd use lower octane. When I lived in Colorado, all the gas was 1-3 octane points lower. I believe regular was 85 and premium 89 or 90.

I though the higher octane would be better at altitude. The compression ratio for the V-6 is 10.5:1 and the V-8 is 10.75:1, not much difference. Lincoln says both need 91 octane.

Spelling

Are there five people in this forum who can spell correctly? If a person can afford a $35,000 to $55,000 car; why is it he cannot write a literate paragraph? :L
JPsBored said:
i dont think the gas octane is that much of an issue if u ur car needs 91 and u put in 89,, now i do think if u go from 91 down to 87 that will not be good.

my ls says needs 91,, but here in mass, not many places have 91 , its either 92 or 93.

so i am buying more than car needs and i think that is a waste of money.

butthan it depends where u get ur gas,, if ur buying mobil, sunoko, shell, u can probably get away with a point or 2 less octane,, than if ur buying gas at joe bob;s local station.

but the lsis such a damnnnn sensitive car, tyhat i dont want to piss it off by useing 87 cheap gas,, so i will juice her up with the best crap i can get,,lol

to bad they dont sell that 103 octane like back in the day,, close to rocket fuel..lol

Because they bought their cars used for $5,000, or received them as hand-me-downs from their folks. Use of poor spelling and grammar accentuates these peoples' status as e-thugs.

ktmolloy said:
Are there five people in this forum who can spell correctly? If a person can afford a $35,000 to $55,000 car; why is it he cannot write a literate paragraph? :L

Nice first post.

ktmolloy said:

Actually I can spell and write a perfect paragraph when needed. But since this is a relaxing, laid back place to share and learn I don't believe that my grammar is what's important compared to getting the information put forth.

To bad that your first post was a dumb ass one, considering alllll the great info here and all you took away was the couple mispelled words or inperfect grammar.

Last time I checked you didn't need to be a grammar perfect student to buy a car, at any price, hmmm maybe that's changed.

So pull the stick out ur ass and enjoy the forum.... :W

Members online

Back