Auto to Manual Trans swap

ljk0916

LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done a trans swap on an LS? I have the :q:q:q:q box auto that no one around here can seem to make shift right or keep it out of safe mode, Im thinking that the stick would be a bit easier to keep going? So i have an 04 Ls V6 has anyone else attempted this? I would assume the actual transmission would mount fairly easily since it was actually a factory option, but i have no clue past there, Any comments or ideas? This is something im considering when this trans fails in the not too distant future

Very difficult to do. This is not a 68 Camaro where a trans swap could actually be done.

First you have a GEN II, none of these had a manual. You have adjustable pedals and a setup would need to be made for the clutch pedal. I believe the master cylinder is different, but I am not certain as it provides the fluid for the clutch slave cylinder. There is not an engine flash for the manual setup on an 04. Transmission mounts are different and the center console is slightly different, although you could modify yours.

If you are at all thinking about doing this, I did find a '00 5 speed in a junkyard this weekend. The car was picked over but the pedal assembly is still there. Drive train is gone. If you are interested let me know and I will get you the contact. Also, you would need the underdash cover on the drivers side as it has a slot for the clutch in it.

Otherwise, a 5 speed is a blast to drive. But you are taking on a lot just to avoid fixing the auto trans.

Well there goes my half cocked idea.... I thought a stick would be fun, Time to look for an actual 5 speed car...

no one around here can seem to make shift right or keep it out of safe mode,

are you getting the "ETC Failsafe mode" message?

that could be a whole different problem if so, ETC = Electronic Throttle Control, this message would either be a problem with the ETC system (if there was a problem with the car not knowing where the throttle actually was, it wouldn't know what gear to shift to or when to do it)

or it could be a problem with a coil, and coils misses have been thought to be trans issues more than once before

It hunts for a gear all the time and shifts up and down, it pops out of gear randomly if i hit a bump, It just does random stuff and makes me mad, It will throw an over rev code though...Its got a new throttle body but the coils are original so who really knows, It never misfires tho

It hunts for a gear all the time and shifts up and down, it pops out of gear randomly if i hit a bump, It just does random stuff and makes me mad,

yea that does sound like something more major

Well there goes my half cocked idea.... I thought a stick would be fun, Time to look for an actual 5 speed car...

Dude, if u drive a stick shift LS u'd go insane. I've been thinking about the same thing, with the difference that I already have a V6 5Spd, all I need now is a 2nd Gen low miles LS6 to convert it, should be easier as everything I need is already in my current LS. Unless converting an LS8 to 6spd manual would be possible.:rolleyes:

I already have a V6 5Spd, all I need now is a 2nd Gen low miles LS6 to convert it, should be easier as everything I need is already in my current LS.

I do not believe it will be as easy as you are posting. The Gen1 PCM is not compatible with the Gen2 engine - so it makes putting the Gen2 motor in the Gen1 not likely.

If you are thing of pulling the 5speed, clucth, piping, ...etc from the Gen1 into the Gen2 - it will be difficult, since the Gen2 never came with a manual transmission - there is not PCM code for it, meaning there is no way to turn off the 100 sensors the car needs for the Auto Transmission.

How about swapping the whole thing? anyways my LS is going to the junkard after it or to the back of the house for future racing purposes :D

if you want a manual car, you really should buy one, its much easier and cheaper.

Yeah.. the LS I want has 55k miles and is listed for 9900 which I dont have.. same as mine but with more options.
What if it ends up putting over 300whp?? What will I then do with the weak Getrag 221??

Members online

No members online now.
Back