AX4N Tranny Rebuild / Interchange

carpoof

LVC Member
Reaction score
I own a 2000 continental and on a cold winter night the differential planetary shattered. I rebuilt the tranny myself using a dealership manual. Once I got it ready to test, it drove reasonably well except it would slip in reverse until you revved the engine, then it made a noise one time in overdrive that sounded like rubber on metal moaning which went away after a minute. The shifts were perfect. Anyway, I turned a corner on a later test drive and there was a pop followed by a high speed gear grinding noise only while it was in gear and it will not move any direction. I think the torque converter may have been defective, but I have not taken the tranny back out to check yet. Any ideas would be welcome. So I am looking at just buying another tranny as I have never rebuilt one before and I am not sure how good a job I did anyway, I found a remanufactured one for a closeout of $500 but it is for a 1998. I can't find out what the trans ID tag means, mine is PNB-CA and there is another 1Fxxxxxx number below that. The 98 -02 trannies I have seen still have the PNB-CA main tag, but the little number is different. I can't imagine a 98 or 02 tranny would not function at all, I assume it was a different valve body calibration? Sorry for this being so long, but I guess my main question would be does anybody know if I can put a 98 or an 02 tranny in my 2000. Thanks for your time.

I don't know if the computers will cry about that but I'm sure the sensors can be swapped.

Honestly, out of all the Continental I've had from 95 and Up, I find the 98 to be most reliable. Even more than the 99 and up. Maybe because of the 15 horses less than the newer ones. 99 & up had more Torque converter issues because of the power increase. Look at your planetary gearset where it shattered. It's just insane power for this small transmission.

Though I'm not saying to get the 98 Tranny, shifting points feel different as well.

Members online

No members online now.
Back