Ball Joint Replacement

nick1906

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Me again....had the dealership check my suspension components because I had some play in the steering wheel when I hit about 70mph....turns out the driver side ball joint had some movement...they said to replace the ball joint i would have to replace the entire knuckle...is this true...they quoted me $421 for parts and labor...didn't have it done..thinking of replacing myself if it isn't too much of a headache.

Pretty easy for me. It took me about 5 hours total for both sides taking my sweet time. I also have the right tools. I know I could have done it quicker, if needed.

That's what I've read on this site...entire knuckle.

But I can't help but wonder if someone on the aftermarket sells just the ball joint?

Some cars have the ball joint held in with rivets...and you can drill the rivets out of the knuckle, remove the old joint, then replace with a new ball joint held in with nuts/bolts.

wonder if anyone makes a kit like this for the LS?

lseguy said:
That's what I've read on this site...entire knuckle.

But I can't help but wonder if someone on the aftermarket sells just the ball joint?

Some cars have the ball joint held in with rivets...and you can drill the rivets out of the knuckle, remove the old joint, then replace with a new ball joint held in with nuts/bolts.

wonder if anyone makes a kit like this for the LS?

And some are pressed in...you simply press the new joint in and out (with the proper tools!) I don't know how the LS is set up though. If anyone were to offer an aftermarket replacement, I'm betting it's Moog. I would check their catalog.

Just bought 3 lower ball joints for the 2000-2001 LS size 14mm. THAY ARE LOWER BALL JOINTS ONLY NO KNUCKLE! The box says MTC is the brand new.

The box sticker says
M.T.C. # 7852 (Ford # 3078)(not on box)
OE # XR8-41215J
BALL JOINT

Just talked with the head company that makes these and the guy is very honest. Bought 3 of them and he cut the shipping down then what we talked about earlier. Then he shippied it by UPS instead of USPS and I was charged duty of 37.74. I told him that and he credited it back with no questions asked. He sells the 14mm only i beleive right now but soon to be selling the 16mm.

Also asked about discount for several. They come with a one year warranty. And go for about 60 bucks per. But asked about ordering 20 or more and he said he is willing to deal 4sure

Its pressed into the steering knuckle on the LS. Which means you have to have either a hydraulic press or a special press tool to remove them. Ford is cheap, they buy the entire knuckle pre-assembled, and don't want to waste their time with offering just a replacement ball joint. So they just sell you the whole knuckle instead, because that's the only thing they stock.

i got the whole knuckle for left and right from max for like 350 plus like 13 bucks shipping. the labor for both was 140. there was a setback but still you can't beat that price

I just did the pass. side on my 00. I got a whole spindle with a good ball joint off ebay for 100 shipped to me door. Took me about 2 hours to get it done because of the piss poor ball joint design. They don't have a taper so if you have rust on the threads and the little 8mm on the end of the stud doesn't hold you are screwed! My tie rod end and lower ball joint came off fine but the upper one rounded off the part you put the 8mm on to stop the stud from spinning. Had to heat the nut and use a vise grips to get the nut off :mad:

I really really hate bad designed parts!!! I cannot believe someone is getting paid to design junk like that!

We have 14mm and 16mm

Hamburg-Technic Germany is the way to go on this ball joint. We can provide these in either size (14mm or 16mm) in orders of 10 pieces or more. Perhaps you may like to do a group buy? We have the parts in stock, ready to ship. Bulk pricing is available for this top quality item.

Members online

No members online now.
Back