belt routing for 2003 V6 LS

Ron Sircar

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all

does anyone have a diagram for the proper serpentine belt routing for a 2003 V6 LS they can post? having some issues from the water pump to the crank pulley I'd like to confirm I've routed everything properly but cant find the information

Or this...
30beltgen2.jpg

30beltgen2.jpg

Thanks that is the diagram I followed however pulling on the tensioner as hard as I can to give slack I still cant get the belt around the AC pulley, now the square notch I put the snub of my 3/8 drive ratchet in for leverage has rounded off so I need a different tool or a new spring loaded tensioner :(

can anyone confirm I have the right belt? it is a goodyear gatorback 4061073 6pk2725

Thanks that is the diagram I followed however pulling on the tensioner as hard as I can to give slack I still cant get the belt around the AC pulley, now the square notch I put the snub of my 3/8 drive ratchet in for leverage has rounded off so I need a different tool or a new spring loaded tensioner :(

can anyone confirm I have the right belt? it is a goodyear gatorback 4061073 6pk2725

If the Tensioner 3/8" fitting is rounded off, I'd replace it ($50 at RockAuto, likely more at a local APS). I've used levers before to put a Serpentine Belt on but that was on a Town Car, where there was room. I can't see how you could get a levering implement in that space effectively.

3W4Z-8620-AA is the Ford part number for the correct belt. That doesn't look like a cross to the Goodyear. Note that Ford shows this part number for 03 and 04 V6, but has a different part number for 05 V6. The 05 part number is 4W4Z-8620-AA, and it does have a cross to Goodyear 4061073. 03/04 may have a different idler size, requiring a different belt. The Ford belt is $13, not worth the trouble to cross to aftermarket...

3W4Z-8620-AA is the Ford part number for the correct belt. That doesn't look like a cross to the Goodyear. Note that Ford shows this part number for 03 and 04 V6, but has a different part number for 05 V6. The 05 part number is 4W4Z-8620-AA, and it does have a cross to Goodyear 4061073. 03/04 may have a different idler size, requiring a different belt. The Ford belt is $13, not worth the trouble to cross to aftermarket...

I got a proper serpentine belt tool (looks like no more than flatbar with a 3/8 drive square plug) anyways I was able to engage the original tensioner properly and maxed it out, but even following the correct routing it isn't enough to get that belt onto all the pulleys (looks like I'm short about 1.5 - 2" minimum, you are probably right about a different idler or pulley size someplace on the FEAD, geez $13? they charged me $50 here in Canada for the goodyear belt! I will call up the dealership and ask for the cost here for the correct factory belt

When I did belt removal and installation on the Duratec Tauruses, I used an old sock around the belt to pull it up and over the top pulley. When I did it on the LS V8, I used a wrench on the tensioner. I think I tried 2 or 3 different pulleys to be the last one to attach. I don't remember if it ended up being the the water pump or idler being the winner.

While a V8 has different routing than a V6, I can't see why anyone would ever use the AC pulley as the final pulley on either engine. It looks like it'd be much easier (looking only at the diagram) to make pulley 3 (upper idler) the last one to route.

I do remember the LS being a special pain in the ass. I took a while to slide the belt sideways past the tensioner when installing, and even longer trying to remove it. I also remember thinking the belt was a little too short. I think it took some coordination of two hands on the belt and my right forearm against the wrench on the tensioner. The sock probably would have worked more easily

Glad you were able to find some grip with the serpentine belt tool. I used one the last time I changed the belt and it was the only tool I was able to access and rotate the tensioner with.

Glad you were able to find some grip with the serpentine belt tool. I used one the last time I changed the belt and it was the only tool I was able to access and rotate the tensioner with.

This is the first car I've ever not been able to use a ratchet or breaker bar pegged into the tensioner to move it, prob. just not enough clearance to peg it in all the way

As mentioned above, even the motorcraft factory belt was REALLY tight when taking it off, as it turns out the local part store that gave me the good year belt showed only one belt for the V6 from 2003-06, I guess for some reason my 2003 needs the 2000-02 length belt, different sized pulley(s) I guess

I only tried using the AC pulley as last because it was easiest for me to get my hands on from under the car

I really can't imagine the 2000-2002 belt working. The 1st gen have an extra hydraulic pump (fan pump) that that 2nd gen does not.

I really can't imagine the 2000-2002 belt working. The 1st gen have an extra hydraulic pump (fan pump) that that 2nd gen does not.

Hmm that would suck, I haven't installed it yet, when I called the ford dealership for a belt, they looked up the motorcraft one and asked me the length of the goodyear one I had got from the parts store, the dealership told me replacement belt was $61 and would take a few days to get it, said the length was 108.1, when I took the goodyear belt back to parts store and told them length was wrong they looked up the 1st gen belt for V6 was 108 so almost the same length as what the dealership told me the 2003 belt should be, I decided to exchange the goodyear belt for a continental brand belt for a first gen V6 since the length was almost the same as what the dealership said the motorcraft belt should be, guess I will find out when I install it (or try to) tomorrow

A quick look claims:
2000 V6 - 109.4"
2002 V6 - 108.7"
2003 V6 - 107.9"
2005 V6 - 107.9"

Is it just a V6 thing to have to get under the car? I did my belt with the car on the ground, standing in front of it. Also, to clarify, I used either a ratchet or breaker bar, not a special tool. But, similarly, maybe that's a V8 thing

A quick look claims:
2000 V6 - 109.4"
2002 V6 - 108.7"
2003 V6 - 107.9"
2005 V6 - 107.9"

The 107.9 belt was too short on my car for some reason, the parts person at a local dealership indicated to me the belt length was supposed to be 108. something, I guess I will know more tomorrow when I try to route it, if it doesn't work I still have the factory replacement belt coming in a few days

Is it just a V6 thing to have to get under the car? I did my belt with the car on the ground, standing in front of it. Also, to clarify, I used either a ratchet or breaker bar, not a special tool. But, similarly, maybe that's a V8 thing

I just did it from underneath as it looked like I had more room to work, I suppose if I took the intake tube I might have more room from the top, and I have never had to use a specific serpentine belt tool before, normally I use a ratchet or breaker bar

The 107.9 belt was too short on my car for some reason, the parts person at a local dealership indicated to me the belt length was supposed to be 108. something, I guess I will know more tomorrow when I try to route it, if it doesn't work I still have the factory replacement belt coming in a few days

Ok just finished installing the 108 length belt and it installed fine, the part number I used was Continental 4061080, the build date of my car was Feb of 2003

sounds like they just gave you the wrong belt the first time, because if it was truly 107.9" then there is no way that it could be an 1.5"+ short and allow a 108.1 to somehow be able to fit...

You are correct sir, sorry I was just quoting the length the parts guy told me it was based on what into they had on their system, the original belt had 107 as part of the number maybe it was less than 107.9, this 2002 spec belt has 108 as part of the number and even though as Joegr pointed out, my car does not have a pump for the fan, the 108 belt fit good routed the way shown earlier in this thread, my only guess is some of the pulley sizes must be a bit different which is why I was having a hard time with the 107 sized belt

there is also the chance that the wrong belt was placed into that package, sometimes the guys behind the counter pull a couple fo different belts out to try to find one of the correct length to somebody that might not know what kind of car, or have a modified car. then they put the wrong ones back into the package.

Yep. I bought two O2 sensors for the 325i. Luckily, I checked them both before leaving the store. The boxes were identical, but one of them was correct, and the other had the wrong kind of connector on it. It happens...

there is also the chance that the wrong belt was placed into that package, sometimes the guys behind the counter pull a couple fo different belts out to try to find one of the correct length to somebody that might not know what kind of car, or have a modified car. then they put the wrong ones back into the package.

That can always happen, however I checked the number printed on the belt itself against the package and it matched (Goodyear 4061073) now assuming 1073 = 107.3 is the length of the original belt, and 107.9 is the correct length, maybe the .6 difference in length is why I was having trouble in the first place? I would have thought the tensioner should be able to take up minor differences in length, but that might have been outside its range. I guess the 108 length belt that was supposed to be for a 1st gen V6 car is close enough to 107.9 to work

Members online

No members online now.
Back