Best way to handle a Coil Spring Conversion?

seanklsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I think I may do a little preventative maintenance on my 96 and convert it to coil spring suspension. I never thought it would come to this but with a 15 year old suspension it seems the pros outweigh the cons. I've read through all the threads but I still I have some questions:

• What is the best kit (and shocks) to keep that Lincoln feel and keep me happy, and not regret my decision to convert? Most threads I read are people asking what the cheapest kit is. I'm not interested in the cheapest.
  • What is the weight gain/loss after removing the OEM air suspension components? I'm wondering if it's worth it to leave the air suspension, in case I decide to go back to air.
  • While I am working on the suspension, what other mods would you recommend I do? Rear sway bar maybe?

It will never feel the same as air ride again if you do the swap. I've done 4 or 5 of them before and prefer American Air Suspension. You have the option of front and back, 1.5 lowered, front lowered/back factory, or just the front or back. I prefer ride height, but lot of possibilities. :cool: The weight difference is not enough to effect anything, so if you want to leave the rest there, go for it. Check all of your front suspension while you have it in front of you and a sway bar/rear shocks are a good idea IMO.

The biggest thing that made it easy for me is a lift....lol. Also try to have a transmission jack available. Hope this helps

It will never feel the same as air ride again if you do the swap. I've done 4 or 5 of them before and prefer American Air Suspension. You have the option of front and back, 1.5 lowered, front lowered/back factory, or just the front or back. I prefer ride height, but lot of possibilities. :cool: The weight difference is not enough to effect anything, so if you want to leave the rest there, go for it. Check all of your front suspension while you have it in front of you and a sway bar/rear shocks are a good idea IMO.

The biggest thing that made it easy for me is a lift....lol. Also try to have a transmission jack available. Hope this helps

If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do both front and back, and lowered.

Comparing Apples to Oranges...

You won't need a lift to do any of it.. Jack stands work fine.
In the rear just unbolt the upper arm, loosen the sway link. Let assembly drop and grab your bag and remove it, shoove spring in with perches and use jack to lift assembly up to bolt the arm back on. Toss nut back on sway link. Done.
Shouldn't really take longer than 15 minutes at any wheel

If your bags are holding air, send em to me :) I want my air ride back

Edit* I'm still half asleep, no need to remove caliper

And to make things even more simpler to what Sapper said, you do not have to take off caliper bracket. And under 15 minutes you are done with each back spring.

It definitely do-able without a lift, but I like doing it all at shoulder level. It's really easy to do overall. (even for me)

Members online

No members online now.
Back