Bought my 1st LS...2000 V-8

djwhy60

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have always loved the LS and had the chance to purchase a 2000 for $3700. It has 104K on her and the last owner took good care of it. Has some small bumps and bruises but overall it is in nice shape. All electrics work. Only issue I have so far is that when I hit between 40 and 50 mph she starts to stutter. Once past 50 she calms back down.

Thanks to all of you for the great insite on these cars. I love it and hope to be posting pics and help with fixes!

Photographs-or-it-did-not-transpire.jpg

Welcome Aboard :Beer

I have always loved the LS and had the chance to purchase a 2000 for $3700. It has 104K on her and the last owner took good care of it. Has some small bumps and bruises but overall it is in nice shape. All electrics work. Only issue I have so far is that when I hit between 40 and 50 mph she starts to stutter. Once past 50 she calms back down.

Thanks to all of you for the great insite on these cars. I love it and hope to be posting pics and help with fixes!

Replace all COPs (Coil On Plug) and spark plugs. If you find oil in any of the plug wells, replace the valve cover gaskets. This will probably solve your stutter. If it doesn't, then you needed to do it anyway.

OK....found out the car is a "drug sale" car and have been finding LOTS of things to replace/repair. So far:

* replaced the headlights, fog lights, front marker lights and any othe burned out bulbs.
* tore out the stereo and climate control and reinstalled with ALL the screws. No more rattle.
* reinstalled CD changer and even found a the cartridge! Heard they are worth their weight in gold.
* Changed windshield.
* Reinstalled all the trim panels that were tore out.

Tomorrow I do the valve cover gasket seals, plugs and coil packs.

Make sure to check for any leftover kilos behind body panels/inside spare tire/ etc. :D

Seriously though...

Make sure to check for any leftover kilos behind body panels/inside spare tire/ etc. :D

....with that history, go and let the police have a drug dog give it the once over. It's your one free pass. After that anything in there belongs to you.

:W to :V

Pictures are a must. What plans do you have for it?

Hopefully not the same plans as the previous owner.

Lmao.

I personally wouldn't have bought such an old vehicle but enjoy your LS.

Update from today.....Broke out the shop manuals and started on the right side. Building up confidence...opened up the COP cover, was in the process of removing COPs and found some "jackleg" mechanic broke the "ear" off the last coil pack. Guess where it was? Yes, down next to the spark plug! At least they were dry so no gasket change yet! Took out the NGK plugs he put in and replaced em with the E3s in the first 3 tubes. Took over 2 hrs to get the broken "ear" out of the last tube! Finally fished it out and replaced last plug and put it back together. Bit of an improvement but am sure the left bank needs the same treatment. No time today, wrestling practice in a few.

Will try and get pics up soon.

Not too concerned with its age, only has 104K and is in pretty good shape. Bunch of nickle dime stuff. Checked for the leftovers from last owner....nothing yet!

WTF?! Took the car out yesterday...ran pretty good. Got up this AM and took it out again...fell back into the stuttering again. I guess the the other side really needs the coild packs and plugs?!

Wow!

Update...took the time to replace the left bank of coils/plugs. Runs like a champ! Snow here kept me from jumping on her but is 1000 times better than before!

I changed all of my coils/plugs, and VC gaskets at the same time several years ago. That was a great move, have had no misfire/studder problems since.

New problem (surprise!) Wife went to put gas in the car ....after 7 gals damn fuel running all over under the car! Guess i have a leak in the tank. Fun times...have to drop the tank to find the issue.

Hey maybe that is where the old owner stashed his stuff!!!

Maybe just a leak/ loose fitting on the fill tube.

New problem (surprise!) Wife went to put gas in the car ....after 7 gals damn fuel running all over under the car! Guess i have a leak in the tank. Fun times...have to drop the tank to find the issue.

Hey maybe that is where the old owner stashed his stuff!!!

Make sure that she didn't just overflow the tank. Some gas pumps don't shut off correctly if you pump it slowly. There is a drain in the fill cap pocket that drains anything the splashes out of the filler to somewhere under the car.

If there's any kind of fuel tank leak, you'll quickly get a check gas cap message followed by a check engine light.

Members online

Back