Can bad gas cause ETC-Failsafe?

Archer28

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, two days ago my wife complained that her car was "sputtering" when coming up a hill. She stopped at an auto parts store where they said they had several people complaining after filling up at a local Marathon. They suggested some "HEET" additive to clear any water out of the system.
No problems the rest of the day.

This morning car started fine, then started "missing" shaking a bit, and displayed ETC Failsafe.

Would only drive about 5 mph, but I could shut if off ,and restart it, and it would run fine for a bit.

If water in the gas causes a misfire, would the computer switch to ETC mode? Does it always "shudder" when in ETC mode?

Still under warranty so I'm not sweating too much, still aggravating!

Thanks for any help all!

99.9999% sure it's a coil going bad. Failing coils on 03 + (specifically failing # 3 and 4 coils) create eenough interfernce to confuse the hell out of the pcm and cause the etc failsafe. When the dealer pulls the codes it will probably show a failing TPS, even though the TPS is fine...just the interference from the coil is screwing up the signaling...and the #3 and #4 coils are very close in proximity to the pcm.

Likely the dealer will replace the throttle body and give you the car back. Then it will happen again and you will take it back and they will replace the faulty coils. Been there, done that...as have many others here:)

And if you have an early 03 (I am assuming you do) MAKE them check the plug wells for oil and replace the gaskets if there is a single drop of oil in there. Best to get that done while you are still under warranty.

Thanks Beaups, "coil" was the first thing that went through my mind when I saw how it was idling. The dealership can't look at it until Thursday. I wonder if I'm asking for trouble trying to drive it the (normally) 40 minute drive to the dealer?

yes you are. Mine failed on onramp to the freeway and about got me killed (seriously). After dealer "fixed" it the first time and it failed on the way home I was on back roads. It took about 5 minutes to get up to 35-40mph and IIRC that was about my top speed.

Well dang, I just started it this AM, idled fine for a bit then started shaking, giving the same message.
I cut it, recranked, and drove the 15 minutes to work with no problems.

I'm going to have our automechanics teacher pull the codes, just for curiosity sake, before I take it to the dealer.

I can see how it would be very dangerous on the highway if the power cut out.

When a coil goes bad like that, is it intermittent or something that will show up each time I drive?

Thanks!

your automech teacher will need a CAN compatible code reader. The code will probably be the misfire AND a throttle position sensor malfunction.

I didn't mess around with mine long enough to find out whether or not it's intermittent. Remember a misfire can easily destroy cats and other engine components. best to get it fixed asap.

Sure enough, his reader wasn't compatible. I made it to the dealer today, and I expect it to be there for a few days. I did have it go into failsafe once on the way (pulling a hill), but shifted to neutral and restarted.

I could feel it missing all the way there, especially at low rpm in high gears.

I haven't seen any evidence of an oil leak, but I did ask them to check for it.

Is it probable that I have an oil leak if the coils are bad, or can they just go bad without warning?

Also, are the newer coils that will be used as replacements (assuming they find they need to be replaced) more dependable than the older ones?

Sorry for all the ?'s, just want to stay a step ahead of the service department!
Thanks again :)

The coils on these cars are crap. We all speculate that heat and oil destroy them. The oil leak is inside of the plug wells and would not be evident until you pull out the coils and they are dripping oil.

I don't believe there was a coil redesign....

Members online

No members online now.
Back