CEL 'after' doing coils/plugs

Andrizzle

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I hate to make a new thread, but this is something difficult to search for.

To start off, I have a 04 V8 w/ 110k.

About 2 weeks ago I started feeling an intermittent missing, of course, I knew it was a coil (or more). I already had a set of new coils and plugs waiting for this to happen as it is inevitable. Anyways the missing was random and mild @ stoplights usually and it never cued a CEL. So last night I finally changed them and changed out all of the spark plugs.

I did it perfectly and even used the dielectric grease in and outside the boots and around where the boot seals against the well. All of the wells were clean and free of oil/water/debris.

I put it all back together and fired her up, it was music to my ears, I could just hear it running better and it felt great out on the road. My light hesitation is gone and so is the missing, it feels brand new.

Now to the bad part... It drove fine the 3 times I drove today, but tonight when I was on my way home from dinner - I was cruising, jamming to music @ about 40mph when my CEL just lights up. I immediately turn down the radio and listen for noises, nothing. I step on the gas a little to see if there is missing - nope still running like a dream.

I pulled over and pulled the engine cover off, saw/heard nothing unusual.

Turned off car, and back on. No dice.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So now that I put all new plugs and coils in, my car is now telling me I have a problem when before, I knew I had a problem - yet there was no CEL. :rolleyes:

I suppose I can get the codes read next week, but does anyone have any ideas of maybe something I overlooked? I double and triple checked everything when I put it back together.

One thing to note in here, but I don't think it is the culprit, but I could be wrong - the little hose that connects to the top of the throttle body, I broke that clamp when I was taking the stuff apart, it was super brittle and it just snapped. Anyways I got it to stick back into the socket it goes in, and it is still tight to the touch - could this be causing me problems??? I notice when I let air escape out of that when the engine is running, the engine runs rough - I think this is for my A/F ratio?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: wow I didn't realize I made this post so long, hope ppl still read it. lolz

Check codes, then check back here. Could be something completely unrelated to what you fixed.

Yup, your cars is possesed.lol. That sucks, I know the feeling. Could be something very insignifican't and just out of left field. A few weeks ago, I was driving my car and it beeped and the CEL came on. Pulled over to scan it with my livewire and it said theft attempted or something like that. It was in my garage all day and I took it out at night. Weird :confused:. Guess we have to wait for the codes.

Yea I will have to take it by autozone when i have time this week...

Ima go out and check in the light today and see if I see anything as well.

Did ur CEL blink when it came on or just pop up and stay on. Reason I ask is cuz blinking usually indicates a misfire. Since ur car did have a misfire when u changed the plugs/COPs, it could be an emissions code now. That's similar to what happened to mine

Hope it's not the cats from missing.. That's what happened to mine resulting in me doing a full custom exhaust to fix the cats... Well, maybe I don't have to redo the whole exhaust but.. :rolleyes: :D

A Lincoln LS without problem doesn't exist... :(

ANY car without problems doesn't exist. Some do have more than others, but my 4 LSes have been at least as reliable as any other car we've had; including a Civic.

No the CEL never blinked, it came on solid just mid-drive.

After I eat lunch I am going to go out and check it out some more. Thanks for the replies and suggestions... Surely I didn't ruin my cats already!?

ANY car without problems doesn't exist. Some do have more than others, but my 4 LSes have been at least as reliable as any other car we've had; including a Civic.

+1.. After fixing the known problems and problems that come with old age, I haven't had to do anything else..

Okay I went outside and could not find anything... the car is still running great.

tbhose.jpg

I am pointing with a screwdriver the hose which I broke the clamp, it is still on there pretty snug, but if I pull it back a little I can hear the air rushing out. Does anyone know what this hose is called?

after i changed my plugs and coils i kept getting a missfire and the cel. I figured out that water was getting in the plug wells....so I put gasket sealer on the plug covers and final no more missfire and no more cel.

Not sure what its called looks like it goes to a o2 sensor tho.. Sorry to hear about your troubles mine did the same thing after I fixed it except I was sent a bad coil (ebay coils) one was bad and they never respond for your "2 year warranty". Mine runs a little rough so I know one of the coils is probly going to go again soon but we will see! you get what you pay for..
GL with your troubles hope its a simple fix!

Not sure what its called looks like it goes to a o2 sensor tho.. Sorry to hear about your troubles mine did the same thing after I fixed it except I was sent a bad coil (ebay coils) one was bad and they never respond for your "2 year warranty". Mine runs a little rough so I know one of the coils is probly going to go again soon but we will see! you get what you pay for..
GL with your troubles hope its a simple fix!

Seems like you should do some research into what and where the four O2 sensors are.

Okay I went outside and could not find anything... the car is still running great.

tbhose.jpg

I am pointing with a screwdriver the hose which I broke the clamp, it is still on there pretty snug, but if I pull it back a little I can hear the air rushing out. Does anyone know what this hose is called?

It's the purge hose to the Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Valve, a part of the gas tank evaporative emissions system.
You are hearing air rushing into the intake manifold, not out.

Okay I got a single code: P0443.

Evaporate emissions system.

So I guess me breaking that hose clamp has caused this. I found the whole evaporate thing on rockauto but it is unclear if it comes with the hose pictured in this thread

This is the vapor canister purge valve...

getimage.php

It is only like 30 bucks so I think I will buy this, but what about the hose I broke the clamp on... I would need a new one of those, but anyone have a name or part #?

Also I think I may have damaged the actual purge valve, because I tried to make a new air tight seal on the hose I broke, but even when I got it tight, the CEL was still cuing a problem, so I think I may have actually damaged the evap system by having this leak in it... Does this make sense? This is such a weird problem to have since my car is running perfect.

haha ignore this thread...

I was outside today and I was messing around with the evap purge valve to look for any damage or leaks, and when I barely moved the assembly, the electric connector just fell off... Apparently I did not push it on all the way and it wasn't "clicked" in.

Lesson here is make sure the plug is connected all the way... Wow I fail lol

haha ignore this thread...

I was outside today and I was messing around with the evap purge valve to look for any damage or leaks, and when I barely moved the assembly, the electric connector just fell off... Apparently I did not push it on all the way and it wasn't "clicked" in.

Lesson here is make sure the plug is connected all the way... Wow I fail lol

Well, that could have gone worse. I think that any good vacuum hose of the right size should work okay. A super-duper tight seal between the valve and the manifold is not critical. (A super-duper tight seal between the valve and the canister is critical.)
It may take a few driving cycles with the right gas tank levels before the light goes off.

Members online

No members online now.
Back