clockspring or ???

biglou71

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have a 98 LSC and I think it is in need of a new clockspring, but want to verify.

1. Tilt only goes part way up, but will go all the way down and no tele.

2. Cruise doesnt work, but the lights for the cruise on the wheel do work. this is what threw me, I think I read that with the clockspring issue, the lights didnt work either.

Any advise or opinions, about this issue.:D

Clockspring will not affect tilt, at all. Also, cruise is a system outside the steering wheel. The paddle switches are just that, switches and only provide input to the system. So lights on does not mean cruise is working or not.

If your horn works sporadically and the air-bag waring lights starts to flash, then your seeing the symptoms of a faulty clockspring.

I think yours is fine. I would check out the fuse for the cruise system and go from there. There is a chance that cruise control unit is shot :( But its easy to replace if needed.

Thanks, no air bag lights flashing and the horn works fine. So I will start checking fuses. Thanks again.

tilting issues are generally the potentiometer, part number F7LZ14A605AA (I paid $29). If you can apply light pressure from the bottom of the steering wheel by lift upwards and try the tilt switch at the same time and the tilt motor engages then the potentiometer is failing and needs to be replaced. See tech articles for the process.

Members online

No members online now.
Back