Code P171 P174

Jeffintampa

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Abe (my cars name 96 LSC ) shot a code the other day P171-174 fuel banks 1 and 2. Were would be the best place to start? Injectors cleaning? Fuel filter? Thanks (I did search)

You have a vacuum leak. one of the rubber hoses on top of the intake has a puncture or big hole in it. It is probably on the under side and you can't see it. So inspect all of the hoses first.

Can you get the short term and long term fuel trim at idle and see how it changes through the rev range?

Andy.

You have a vacuum leak. one of the rubber hoses on top of the intake has a puncture or big hole in it. It is probably on the under side and you can't see it. So inspect all of the hoses first.

X2 its telling you both side running lean. One intake leak feeds whole engine thats why its lean all over.

I tell you I ran it pretty hard it :q:q:q:qs and gets boy I tell ya for an old car it can get it

Man looked and looked could not find a vac line with a hole can anyone be more close on what one it probably is?

My 97 was missing the throttle stop screw on the bottom side of the throttle body.
Found it during the intake gasket change out job.
Does it sound like a industrial vacuum cleaner under the hood when it's running.?
It's possible the vac leak could be the intake gaskets.
I went with ford house gaskets so I won't have to mess with it again

Start car, let idle, open hood...spray Carb cleaner over vac hoses around intake and TB. When it revs up-theres your leak

Ok thought I was lucky found that the hose going from the left head to the air intake was cracked, replaced it and nope, the rubber gasket that the air intalke seats the Trottle body was kinked, looked like its been that way for every, soaked it in hot water and think its ok now hard to tell, have yet to find the issue and running like crap may have to take to a proffessional

+1

a really bad ignition problem and misfire means that you don't burn any oxygen. the o2s detect too much oxygen in the exhaust (because normally it should all burn up with the gasoline) and sets a lean code.

the LS's and their marginal COPs have that issue a lot.

Your problem is minimal. On the Gen 2 there is a rubber T hose that Y's out into two hoses connecting to the top of the intake. On the Gen 1 it is on the side. Follow from where the PCV valve is. Your car is definitely sucking too much air.

Ya know what...even if those hoses aren't cracked...check them for collapsing on themselves ..just look at them as you roll the throttle with your hand

Well took it to a retire mechanic and got it fixed it was and intake manafold gasket leak, boy did he bitch about how hard it was to fix charged me 180.00 to fix

Cheap enough , it's a hellova job , been there done that,
Most of the time is spent cleaning the mating surfaces.
Hope he changed the injector orings while he was at it .
Glad to hear you got it fixed , and don't it run much better now.

yea i had to do that when i swapped irmc. not sure its worth 180 bucks to fix tho. its really not as hard as it seems just kinda a PIA actually

Pretty strait forward job just time consuming
And with some mech labor rates ....
I think all data allowed for 3 hours

Members online

Back