Coolant question

NickT88LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
my 2002 Lincoln LS 3.9
When I look up what kind of coolant it takes it says The gold or the Orange, check the one in car and use the same just dont mix them. Sounds good so far, let me got see what I have, I take off cap on top off thermostat housing and coolant is green. Oh god I cant stand Incompetence, last time anyone was in my cooling system was at the dealer at around 30,000 miles for the DCCV valve, and t-stat hose why would they not correct it if they saw green coolant??? Or why would they put green in there???

Anyway, just wondering my best route at this point, leave it green or totally flush with water until clear and use Gold??? Currently have 106,000 miles.

The long-life universal Prestone green is perfectly fine.

The sticker near the degas bottle says "green OK" "no to to red antifreeze".

My radiator just failed (110,000 miles). I had green fluid in the car, but when I had the radiator replaced (did not have time to do it myself), they said it needed to be Motorcraft "gold". They only added 1 quart during the repair.
So, my car now has whatever green was in the motor, etc, and now the "gold" they just added during the repair. Is the mixture of both types OK or can this contribute to a premature failure of my new radiator?
The owner manual likely states what is recommended, but since mine is now a mixture, what route should I go (if I should do anything at all)?

The sticker near the degas bottle says "green OK" "no to to red antifreeze".

My radiator just failed (110,000 miles). I had green fluid in the car, but when I had the radiator replaced (did not have time to do it myself), they said it needed to be Motorcraft "gold". They only added 1 quart during the repair.
So, my car now has whatever green was in the motor, etc, and now the "gold" they just added during the repair. Is the mixture of both types OK or can this contribute to a premature failure of my new radiator?
The owner manual likely states what is recommended, but since mine is now a mixture, what route should I go (if I should do anything at all)?

You should be fine. You don't have a lot of choices really. Either live with it or get a full cooling system flush. You can't drain all the coolant out, so there would be no other way to get it to where it was all one kind of coolant.

Strange !

the Owners Manual for an 01 V8 says to only use GREEN in color fluid.

Specifically says,

- Do NOT use Ford Extended Life Engine Coolant (orange in color)

- Do NOT use a DEX-COOL Engine Coolant

- Do NOT use alcohol or methanol antifreeze

- Do NOT use supplement Coolant additives

- Do NOT mix

~ where are you getting the "Use Gold or Orange" from ?

I was going off of alldata to see what coolant should be in my vehicle, I will check my owners manual maybe says different???

Strange !

the Owners Manual for an 01 V8 says to only use GREEN in color fluid.

Specifically says,

- Do NOT use Ford Extended Life Engine Coolant (orange in color)

- Do NOT use a DEX-COOL Engine Coolant

- Do NOT use alcohol or methanol antifreeze

- Do NOT use supplement Coolant additives

- Do NOT mix

~ where are you getting the "Use Gold or Orange" from ?

Strange. OM says GREEN only.
My repair manual say GREEN only.

<shrugs>

From the 2004 factory repair manual:

Add Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant VC-7-A (in California, Oregon and New Mexico VC-7-B, in Canada CVC-7-A) or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B51-A1 (yellow color). Use the same coolant that was drained from the cooling system. Do not mix coolant types.
Do not add Motorcraft Speciality Orange Engine Coolant VC-2 meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B44-D (orange color). Mixing coolants can degrade the coolant's corrosion protection.
Do not add alcohol, methanol, brine or any engine coolants mixed with alcohol or methanol antifreeze. These can cause engine damage from overheating or freezing.
Do not mix recycled coolant unless it meets the requirements of Ford specification WSS-M97B51-A1. Not all coolant recycling processes meet these Ford specifications. Use of such coolants can harm the engine and cooling system components.

Prestone in the yellow bottle. I don't remember it being green, more of a yellow color.

But I added that after degas + DCCV and zero problems. That was 2 years ago on the degas bottle.

old thread revival.

Gold vs. Green

Should be alright mixing the two, no?

Going to be replacing the upper hose this evening and in the 04 OM it does read "Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant (yellow-colored)"
I don't know what is in there now, don't know the history of the car, could have been replaced with the Prestone Green premix already, not sure.

In the event I have it apart and discover it is in fact Gold yellow-colored, I suspect it wouldn't hurt to top it off with Prestone Green?

Perhaps flush it later and get all green in there? For now mixing the two should be alright?

~ Odd how it's only the 04 out of all year model build that got the Gold Engine Coolant, at least according to the OM's

AFAIK, Prestone longlife green is okay to use either way. Since you don't know for sure what is in there or how long it's been in there, I would at least drain it all and replace with new.

Yeah, makes the most sense. I'll dump it all and refill with Green premix. (have two new full unopened jugs handy) (wasn't going to spend more money on fancy Gold colored same thing coolant) I could always do a full flush later this summer. (after more parts break)

Thx Joe.

I thought the Gold coolant was a 2004+ Gen 2 change. But like others said, the Prestone long life green is universal (or supposed to be).

The Motorcraft Gold coolant is just Zerex G-05 if you are looking for it at a parts store. The thing is by the time I find Zerex somewhere it's the same price or more then Motorcraft from a Ford dealer. Meanwhile the universal green is cheaper and available everywhere which is probably why it was used.

Like Joe said your option is to try to flush the coolant out of the block which is damn near impossible and re-fill it if you are really worried about it.

Yeah, I'll dump the whole thing and replace with green, then repeat this summer to get it all.

+1

Yeah that stuff. It actually had a label on it that said "NOT DON APPROVED". It also went on to read, "PRESSURIZED COOLING SYSTEM"

Motorcraft Coolant Usage Chart All Years Lincoln LS

Motorcraft Coolant Usage Chart (all years Lincoln LS.) Had to separate into two pages to make it show clearly.

Motorcraft Coolant Usage Chart Lincoln LS All Years_a.jpgMotorcraft Coolant Usage Chart Lincoln LS All Model Years_a2.jpg

Motorcraft Coolant Usage Chart Lincoln LS All Years_a.jpg

Motorcraft Coolant Usage Chart Lincoln LS All Model Years_a2.jpg

A goodly share of the on-again/off-again of the forgoing is due to some newly-promoted guy at ford making work and justifying his existence by issuing edicts.

Use a name-brand coolant specified for a modern mostly-aluminum engine. Mixing two different formulae might cause a chemical reaction that'll begin to erode the engine metals in only a hundred years instead of a hundred fifty years.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

KS

Members online

Back