Crazy Rubbing

jiggajatt

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I have some 20" wheels on my LS with eibach pro-kit drop. I know 20's are supposed to rub and such and with the drop theyll rub more but my question is are they supposed to rub to the point if i have 4 people in my car it wont even move!! If its just 2 people me and a passenger it rubs every single dip we hit. Can it be my shocks are gone? The car has 81k miles on it and shocks never replaced. Im thinking about sellin my rims and settling with some 18's or 19's but want to make sure its not just my rims but other factors.

thanks for ur help

ps. i need some help and not dumbass posts

well, stock shocks at 81k with some heavy driving can definitely be shot, especially on aftermarket springs that cause them to work more. Rims are never *supposed* to rub, no matter what size. 20's on a drop, with the correct offset and suspension setup will not rub.

Id replace the shocks before i replaced the wheels personally.

Unfortunately replacing your shocks won't help your rubbing problem, at least the one with 4 people in the car. Shocks don't support any weight, they just slow the rebound of the springs down. It may help your rub with 2 people in that it may slow down the suspension movement some and keep it from traveling as far, but it is not likely. You need to look at the offset, if you are lucky and it is wrong the right way, it may just take some spacers.

What offset are the wheels?

What size tire are you running?

These 2 questions will tell a lot about whether there's anything you can do. If you don't have an appropriate offset, you're one step in the wrong direction as they may be sticking out past the lip of the fender/quarter panel. If the tire size creates a larger overall diameter than a stock 235/50/17, then there's strike 2 against you.

Hopefully this post was intelligent enough. :shifty:

Mark

i have had the fenders cut professionaly and it helped the rubbin a little bit and tire size im runnin is 245/35/20 and the rims do stick out of the fender. so i guess im SOL and the offset i dont know but will find out tomorrow. thanks for the intelligent posts. lol thanks

i have had the fenders cut professionaly and it helped the rubbin a little bit and tire size im runnin is 245/35/20 and the rims do stick out of the fender. so i guess im SOL and the offset i dont know but will find out tomorrow. thanks for the intelligent posts. lol thanks

IMHO any offset less than 45mm will rub with your set-up.

You just answered your own question.... you have the wrong wheels on your car.

I had the same problem. The 20" rims I have fit before I put the sprint lowering springs on but once I did it rubbed horribly so I put my stock rims back on. Kinda glad I did as the rims I have are good looking but quite heavy.

same problem here...I went out and bought rims on impulse without having the slightest idea of what an offset was and without doing any research. My 20's don't rub because the guy put some type of spacer in my springs. I'm guessing he knew the tires would rub without them. Does rolling the fenders mainly help with tire width or height? Or does a 36 offset mean I need new rims?

This is beautiful

IMG_2212_1.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back