cruise control not responding

MMAFIGHTER121

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I can press the buttons on the wheel all I want but nothin happens. Now I did just do the vcgs recently is there a plug or something that maybe I left out under the engine bay? At work right now so I don't have the opp to just visual look..

Nope. Everyrthing else is just peachy. I need to bolt down the accel coils, but other than that..

odd... what you were describing is exactly what heppened when my clock spring went out. Oh well. I'm out of ideas

The radio controls on the other side of the wheel work too, hence my wonder if maybe I just left something unplugged.

The radio controls on the other side of the wheel work too, hence my wonder if maybe I just left something unplugged.
+1 on it being the clockspring because mine went out one side at a time..your horn will stop working next so you better replace it before all that happens..just my 2 cents

Nooooo! I just finished the vcg and coils and plugs and intake tube I don't want to dish out mo money for the clockspring! I need new brakes lol

Edit: I forgot to mention before it stopped responding sometimes the buttons seemed misaligned.. ex: if I hit "res" it'd react as if I hit "+" hitting "+" caused "-" etc.. basically the function of each button was moved up.. does that make sense? But I figured that had more to do with some drink getting in there.. don't ask.

Nooooo! I just finished the vcg and coils and plugs and intake tube I don't want to dish out mo money for the clockspring! I need new brakes lol

You can live without it, it can just be a PITA. I lost my cruise, my radio controls were all screwy, and the airbag light was on. I don't know what he was talking about the horn going, but yeah. So you won't have cruise(PITA), you'll have to change the stereo by ACTUALLY REACHING OVER!!!, and if the airbag light comes on and you get in an accident you might be eating steering wheel. All in all not so bad. I ran mine with clockspring problems for probably about a year and it was 6-9 months after the problems started that the airbag light went on.

It is not a super urgently needed repair. I'd say do the brakes first so you don't end up eating steering wheel!

EDIT: to your edit above, yeah the controls will switch functions and they won't always be the same. EX. VOL+ would end up turning the volume down, VOL- would turn the volume down or change the media type, the up and down toggle to change presets would sometimes do volume and sometimes mute or even change media. It's just the wiring in the clockspring shorting out or whatever it does.

The horn will eventually go out if you don't change the clockspring....the clockspring controls all the steering wheel functions including the horn but yes you can drive your car with a bad clockspring..just a PITA sometimes

as long as it doesn't cause a bigger expense down the road, im a-ok with that. minor inconvenience is preffered to another dent in the wallet and more time repairing right now!

I need a clockspring...who has the best price on one?

call pat in the parts department at team ford..he'll give you a great price...they have a good write up on how to change it out yourself..good luck

my cruise control does the same thing.. try this: switch it on, hit set, then immediately switch it off. that always makes mine come on. kinda retarded but i cant stand drivin on the interstate without cc.

my cruise control does the same thing.. try this: switch it on, hit set, then immediately switch it off. that always makes mine come on. kinda retarded but i cant stand drivin on the interstate without cc.

Haha, yeah I had little tricks for mine that worked for a pretty long time but it won't be too long before it is completely broken.

the lights work properly on the dashboard for me, the cruise just doesnt work. for you guys, does the button not match the light?

Members online

No members online now.
Back