Custom Intake

Blackspyder

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm trying to make a custom cold air intake, I think i've read a thread about how to do it but I'm not sure. Can somebody help me ?

Well how wild are we going with this? Do you want it sucking air from the bottoms bumper, fabricating a heat shield, just a stack filter?

Thanx guys

so i would like the size of the tube , measurements, so i could buy the tube, drill them for the sensors etc. Thanx again

I forgot

It's for a 2000 ls v8 i would like to make the aluminum part like in the pic

product_thumb.jpg

well - most of us purchased ours from someone (mainly Ken@LSKoncepts, KKM or LLSOC)

if you're gonna make your own - don't you simply make all your measurement (the holes, connectors, ..etc) in the current stock plastic intake and duplicate them in your prototype?

Ok

I tought that some guys made their own cai, but like you said i'd better purchase it at ken shop. Thanx quik

yeah - some of the ford hose connectors - like the IAC valve and driver's side PCV tube use a weird (but nice) connector - which you would have to weld a piece of smaller tubing to your larger intake tube to use those stock connectors. I can't weld at home - so I did not have the option.

You could replace those hoses with standard tubing.... but why.

I was telling someone that I was considering getting a CAI... he asked me this:

"How does it remain a COLD AIR intake when the Aluminum or Stainless gets hot being under the hood snaking around the intake manifold?"

I really didn't know how to answer this! Is it simply about the unrestricted tube allowing the air flow, or is there more to it?

Bozz

Bozz said:
I was telling someone that I was considering getting a CAI... he asked me this:

"How does it remain a COLD AIR intake when the Aluminum or Stainless gets hot being under the hood snaking around the intake manifold?"

I really didn't know how to answer this! Is it simply about the unrestricted tube allowing the air flow, or is there more to it?

Bozz
The air is passing throu the tube at such a fast rate, the fact that the tube is hot has little effect on the air. The air coming in to the filter being as cool as possible is the best.
In other words if you created a cold air intake properly it should be pulling air at outside temp, when the air hits the TB the fact that it passed throu the 3' of hot tube has little effect on it and the temp is likely no warmer as it had no time to warm.
If you pulling engine heat to begin with ,well, thats what the TB is going to be fed, this is bad.
The latest controversy in this is that people are tubing to the outside air in verious different ways which opens the question is that extra tubing and turns to accomplish this more restictive? No question to have the coolest air possible is best, but if you complicate the flow to the extreme, have you gained anything? I personally feel the best set-up will be an open air conical filter like the KKM protected from engine heat will produce the best results.

If I only plan on keeping my car for another 2-3 years before I sell off all the add-ons and return to stock is it more worth it to purchase the aluminum CAI opposed to the stainless and save $100?

Are there any advantages to stainless opposed to aluminum other than longevity? i.e. temp

aluminum = pretty and lighter than stainless - is it worth an extra $100? up to you.

you get the most benefit from the improved surface area and less restrictive filter.

I truely believe the Intake to be worth good HP. My car runs better than expected 1/4 mile with the Aluminum Intake and the Magna-Flow. I'm going to get the tuner next.

absolutely - the intake on my 01 LS - 13rwhp - money well spent.

Well alot claim a cut up stock box can compete. I can't say I tried it, just can't see how the conical isn't better and the smooth straight shot of the aluminum tube has to blow away a hacked up stocker tube at any type of high rpm.

agreed - plus mine has a venturi that the cone sit on as part of the top of the intake....

right - how much does it add? - probably only a little bit - but I'll take it.

Members online

Back