Damage done to my LS after being repaired and parked in lot

jmlckls

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I had to take my 02 LS back to a repair shop in Rockville, MD for a do-over for some work performed several weeks ago. 1st do-over was an adjustment of the front drivers window after being repaired for a broken regulator; it wasn't shutting all the way. 2nd do-over was for a broken air-tube; broken while replacing main drive belt. The crack mechanic broke the resonator off the air tube and tried to glue it, thinking I wouldn't notice. The glue didn't take.

So I take it back Monday after the most recent snow, leave it with them to be fixed on Tuesday. Called late yesterday, asking if it was ready to be picked up. The service consultant asked me to leave it overnight to let the air-tube fix cure. They had to "weld" it; Ford discontinued the part months ago.

So after all is fixed they park it in their lot waiting for me to pick it up later today. I get a call around 1:00PM today. Uh-oh we have a problem. Seems somebody decided to see how much damage they could do to my car while it was parked. Here are the pictures I was sent from the body shop that the car was transferred to. The repair place is taking responsibility.

lsIMG_2670.jpgls IMG_2671.jpg

Anybody want to guess how much this is going to cost the repair shop? I'm going to push for OEM parts, if they are still available. The car is in great condition otherwise.

lsIMG_2670.jpg

ls IMG_2671.jpg

im in maryland too. what repair shop you taking that car to?

@jmlckls, terrible luck but out of your hands, think if it had happened elsewhere away from that shop, someone did a hit-n-run and would have left you to fix it yourself. At least in this case, they are coming good for it. Still too bad though but I'm sure it will be fixed to your satisfaction. Good luck.

I'll leave the repair shop name out of this discussion for now. That could change if they start playing games with me. For example, initial indications were that they would not provide a rental car while the repairs are being made. That was before I saw the pictures. I'll be talking to them again today about that.
im in maryland too. what repair shop you taking that car to?

Um, yeah. I'm calling BS on their story. Looks to me that someone was being stupid in reverse while they moved your car. Tech backing it out of a bay and hooking another car when he turned to the right backing out. If another car or truck turned right and ran into while it was parked you'd have tire marks on the front bumper.

That they moved the car to a body shop is suspicious as well.

I have a buddy who owned a Meineke muffler shop who did the same thing to a customers car. His insurance needed to come see what happened before they allowed it to be moved to another shop.

I call BS on the story too... BUT, you better talk to the body shop before they begin, also let them know to be careful with that grille!

yes before they do anything contact the body shop. most likely its a friend or theirs also is your insurance know about this or you just went with them.

I'm guessing $2500 in repairs. You need to go to that repair shop tomorrow and look at the damage yourself as well.

Go to macco in the silver spring area they can probably give you a good price on the repairs

I wouldn't let Maaco paint my bicycle! They're right down there with Earl Scheib! I have found Caliber Collision to be excellent.

...Earl Scheib...

Funny stuff :) I didn't know they were still in business...or are they?

Back in the early 70s, I had a VW painted by them. It had 15s in the rear, and 13s in the front and an 8" steering wheel. I had Scheib paint it a Butterscotch color.

You better correct y/self...that would be right DOWN there with Scheib! :)

I wouldn't let Maaco paint my bicycle! They're right up there with Earl Scheib! I have found Caliber Collision to be excellent.

Why not, it's a black car so he won't have to worry about the tires being body color...

Funny stuff :) I didn't know they were still in business...or are they?

Back in the early 70s, I had a VW painted by them. It had 15s in the rear, and 13s in the front and an 8" steering wheel. I had Scheib paint it a Butterscotch color.

You better correct y/self...that would be right DOWN there with Scheib! :)

DONE!!!!

Yup, they're still around..... HOWEVER.... They aren't the same. They are individually owned and just get use of the name. The shops answer to no one and the warranty, such as it is, doesn't need to be recognized by another shop. As I understand it.

Why not, it's a black car so he won't have to worry about the tires being body color...

Accurate paint match (believe it or not, there are many, many shades of black), quality of paint, attention to prep detail...... I remember Earl Scheib's warranty against chipping, flaking or fading. Maybe, but after a couple of years it would crack!

I wouldn't let Maaco paint my bicycle! They're right down there with Earl Scheib! I have found Caliber Collision to be excellent.

Lol I feel you , I was the same way. But the one around my area is actually good and do great work. A lot of "car enthusiast" guys get work done at this particular shop

Make in the day if you didn't tape it, they painted it. Earl was just as bad but they had better commercials.

Got my LS back yesterday. I told the body shop to keep it as long as they needed to get it right. After telling me it would be ready Monday, they called and asked for one more day; they weren't satisfied with some of the clearcoat on the hood. So back it went into the paint booth. I have to admit it looks good. 11 years of dings on the front are gone. I requested they use OEM parts, particularly the fender and the bumper cover; they showed me the invoice from a local Ford dealer; so Im satisfied. Before checking the invoice I performed my own magnet test to make sure the fender was aluminum--the magnet didn't grab.

The owner of the body shop was really excited about the car. It's one of the last V6 Manuals built--Sept 02 build date. He said if I ever want to sell it, that I should call him. He sounds like a collector. I may take him up on that offer. First I'll check the current KBB values. The car has 82K miles and is in great shape and runs perfectly.

Some pictures:
Lincoln LS 007.jpgCH]

Lincoln LS 007.jpg

Lincoln LS 006.jpg

shinyyyyyy :cool: , you should but a clear bra on it to protect the paint from future rock chips

That came out real nice, sounds like the shop owner took pride in this repair. Enjoy!

The owner of the body shop was really excited about the car. It's one of the last V6 Manuals built--Sept 02 build date. ...

Not to rain on your parade, but in September of 2002, Ford would have been producing 2003 MY cars. My LS has a build date of 01/02,also, V6 manual (high five!) which is toward the end of the production year. Next year MY production begins in July.

Not to rain on your parade, but in September of 2002, Ford would have been producing 2003 MY cars. My LS has a build date of 01/02,also, V6 manual (high five!) which is toward the end of the production year. Next year MY production begins in July.

The 2nd gens were delayed; but I don't know by how long. Your dad will know...... My old 2000 was built in early '00......

The sticker inside my driver's side door has a date of 9/02. The "story" I got from the Ford dealer that sold me that car in Jan 2004 is that a Ford Exec requested one of the last LS/5spd/black cars that came off the line. He drove it for one year. Then it was offered for sale as a used car thru the Ford Network of dealers. I did some of my own research, thru a friend that works for Motorcraft; the car was one of the last LS's made for the 2002 model year.

My dad, who worked for Ford on the LS program, and I were wondering if you would be so kind as to post a pic of the door sticker, or if you don't feel safe about that PM me please?

Members online

Back