Dash electrical problem

daveao

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have several problems with my 1988 cadillac seville 4.5L. One is that the instrument panel goes on and off intermittently. Also, when this happens I can't change my headlight beam to high or low they stay where they were at when the panel goes out, and the heat/ac blower stops, the cruise control also can't be changed. Any suggestions on what might be happening. All of these things happen when the instrument panel goes out otherwise are ok.

Also, would anyone know where I might be able to get any technical service bulletins that would cover the problems as they seem to be interrelated. I found some bulletins but only covered the instrument panel going on and off.

sorry i cant help with this
um might be somthing like a alternator problem comming on
or a simple fuse perhaps

In my wide-ranging experience with these things (ha, ha) it boils down to a few:
corroded connection, possibly inside a plug where it's not visible;
Bad ground connection off the dash or accessory line;
partially melted connection, usually at a switch - like several GM ignition switches and one Honda Accord ign switch I have replaced;
If the vehicle has been previously wrecked, look for wiring that might have been damaged and repaired.

And best of luck...

:zgreenbou

Ah, i have the same freakin problem. But just my dash goes out. I would check the interior brightness switch. I find that if i fool around with it, the problem goes away. So start there.

Good luck!

hopefuly daveao has already made repairs, but for future reference....my first impression was that the ignition switch has a bad connection. lhheston's info is very insightful also. I have found several multiple electrical problems to be a poor connection at a common ground point or solder point. Something as simple as painted surface can cause a poor ground. Installing a second ground into a grounded curcuit couldn't hurt, right?

Members online

No members online now.
Back