Diagnosing ac 02 lse v8

burnindank

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I know for a fact that the compressor wont kick on due to low pressure. I attempted to recharge with ac pro, and only got 10 psi on gauge and system wouldnt take freon. What should I do now? I have a feeling that theres air in the system so there is a leak somewhere. If i do replace compressor, what is the best inline filter to use? Im just hoping that the ac isnt gonna cost me a fortune...:confused:

here we go again...

A: you didn't use any Freon (unless that sh!t came from n old box from south of the border...)

B: does your "knowing for a fact" come from using the right set of gauges? you know, so that you can read the high and low side at the same time?

C: if not then you really dont know anything about the system

D: if not then you may have dangerously overcharged your system.

as for what you should do now...

if you cant find or confirm that you have a leak on your own, you need to take it to someone who has the right tools and can properly service your AC system

why must you be a dick? im just trying to learn as I go. No i have no idea about ac systems, but I am capable of doing so with some guidance. If you arent gonna be nice, then dont say **** at all. I am an automotive technology student and im just trying to learn from diff angles and perspectives. sorry if thats too much for this forum.

dude, messing with stuff without knowing what you are doing can be reckless and dangerous.

at a bare minimum, I would expect someone (especially with your career target) to know what they are doing at least a little bit BEFORE just jumping in and going at it...

for instance, when I am trying to learn something new, I usually start out by reading as much as I can on the subject to find out the correct way to do something (learning to do anything by not doing it the correct way is a terrible way to go at life) or I will get somebody to help me that does know exactly what they are doing to help, then I can actually learn from them how to do it. also the friend may even have those proper tools that are needed

seriously, I am trying to help you out... thats why I asked questions. for you to take it as "me being a dick" I will just have to assume that you didn't have the proper tools and you were just trying to cowboy it cause it looks so easy on the commercials...

doing this any other way other than the correct way can cause a lot more damage to the system and cause your repair bill to skyrocket. again, I would expect an engineering lite student (correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that is how you were referring to it) to know and fully understand that.

Hey Loud1, next time I'm doing something wrong that I have no clue as to how to repair properly, I'm gonna ask for your help and then afterwards get upset with you then call you names, ok? just a heads up Bud!

Well, I guess I had better leave my comments out then.

All I gotta say is that it's a learning process. I learn best by doing. Idc if it's a tough task to accomplish, I want to do it to the best of my ability. I thought this forum was for people who liked to help others not criticize them for the lack of knowledge. Now if someone has any real input to the Ac situation please feel free to comment. All others can get off this feed.

Freon is the brand name for R-12. R-12 hasn't been used on cars (or much of anything else) since the late 80's (and a few early 90s). The LS like just about all other cars for a long time now uses R-134s. If you want to use the brand name (hardly anyone does), it is Suva. The correct generic term is "refrigerant."
You can't correctly charge the LS's variable displacement system which uses a thermal expansion valve without watching both the low and high side pressures. You shouldn't just try to charge it if it is empty or nearly empty. You need to find the leak. Depending on where the leak is, you may have lost most of your compressor oil. Running the compressor without oil could destroy the whole system. A common leak point is the seal at the control valve at the back of the scroll compressor. Anytime the system is opened, you have to replace the receiver/dryer. You will also have to add back the correct oil charge. You also have to pull a very good vacuum (those cheap pumps that run from an air compressor can't do it). If you don't have a micron vacuum gauge, then you need to pull the vacuum for at least a half hour to boil all the water out. If you have a micron gauge, you can see when all the water is gone. You will need the LS temperature/pressure charts to correctly charge. You should also weight out the correct amount of refrigerant if possible.
You should also note that a common problem with the LS is the failure of the DCCV. This can blow the fuse that also powers the AC clutch.

If you want to lean about auto AC, then there are plenty of resources on the internet. There are often also low cost community college courses you can take.

All I gotta say is that it's a learning process. I learn best by doing.

most people do, but just going out and doing something with out ANY research or knowing how the system works, or knowing what you are doing first is just silly. and going at things like that tend to end up costing yuou a lot more money in the process

Idc if it's a tough task to accomplish, I want to do it to the best of my ability.

well then, you should do you self a favor, and perhaps read and discuss with people BEFORE attempting to just figure it out on the fly.

I thought this forum was for people who liked to help others not criticize them for the lack of knowledge.

well we do like to help people out and share tips and hte correct way to do stuff, we also really like to tell people when they are doing something wrong, no so much because we LIKE telling you that you are doing it wrong, but becasue we do not want to see you to continue to do it wrong. we want your car to work right, therefore we want you to do it right so that it can actually work later

Now if someone has any real input to the Ac situation please feel free to comment. All others can get off this feed.

I asked a question, got called names but no answer... seems like you really want it get it fixed...

why must you be a dick? im just trying to learn as I go. No i have no idea about ac systems, but I am capable of doing so with some guidance. If you arent gonna be nice, then dont say **** at all. I am an automotive technology student and im just trying to learn from diff angles and perspectives. sorry if thats too much for this forum.

Officially blocked...

All I gotta say is that it's a learning process. I learn best by doing.

Its almost the most expensive, dangerous and least time efficient way of working on an LS...you'll notice (if you ever learn to search) that MOST of the good info around here comes from Joe/Loud..

. All others can get off this feed.

well that will get you far... How about YOU get off the site...

One day he'll learn the correct response was.... "My Bad, I meant R-134

well this is interesting...

I got called a dick

Rig mocked the guy for calling me a dick

then the guy thanked Rig for mocking him.

once again people, this is the world we are all living in...

29387.jpg

did Jrand create a new account?

29387.jpg

Maybe this diagram will help.

desalinationprocess.gif

Because some of us are getting a little too salty with the new, the naive, the obstinate, and the wrong

desalinationprocess.gif

I thought this forum was for people who liked to help others not criticize them for the lack of knowledge.

also, for what its worth, I never criticized you for your lack of knowledge. I was criticizing you for your actions taken in spite of your lack on knowledge.

unfortunately in this day and age, there is no longer an excuse for lack of knowledge. the world is at your fingertips, and all of the knowledge that you would ever need and more can be accessed in minutes.

figuring out the proper way to do something BEFORE attempting it is very easy to do IF you are willing to put in the time to research. unfortunately, we live in the day of instant gratification and are no longer willing to put in the boring time needed to read for an hour or two. this is the direct result of that.

..If you want to tinker with something... go get an old pickup. Your going to spend THOUSANDS more doing tinkering with an LS!

...says the guy on an LS forum without an LS ( i believe) ... Says the guy who started a thread every day on LS's he WAS shopping for, but also, would not take the advice from those around here (great forum operation knowledge)... burnind, great side your on.

So, which is more important here? Give accurate information or don't offend anyone? I realize that these two options are not always exclusive, but sometimes...

Yeah a Cabriolet minus the vagina.

BTW there are no repair manuals for Beemers on THIS forum. Pretty sure about that ... we could of course ask some of the other asshats.

"Beemers" are BMW motorcycles. BMW cars are "Bimmers."
As to if it was an "upgrade" or not, that depends on which model. I can say that similar vintage BMWs are just as needy or more when it comes to maintenance and repair as the LS is. This includes the plastic cooling system parts. (The BMW parts are cheaper, but the labor is more if you don't DIY.)

in the words of the late great Colonel Sanders,

" I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Members online

No members online now.
Back