Digital camrea questions?

Dartastic

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Wondering what digital camera people are using? What resolution for posting on the net? Im somewhat new to this. Been scanning pics up til now. I have a SamSung D6550 video/digital still cam. Uses separate lenses for stills and video. 5.25 megapixel. Great quality. My stills are at 1024x768. Kinda of big at 300k. Suggestions?

I have a Minolta Dimage A2 8Mpixel camera with usual auto this and that and manual zoom. Very nice camera with excellent resolution.

The only gotchas are that is is very small and my fat fingers sometimes push the wrong buttons and get the camera into a mode I don't expect.

The resolution is adjustable in many different ways.

For web posting I would expect you to use medium low to medium resolution, otherwise it will take up a lot of memory for a single pic. At really low resolution the picture is too choppy. I think one camera I have goes down to 320x240 or something like that, and the picture is very blocky.

When I email using Microsoft Outlook, I find that resizing to 640x480 medium is good for most stuff without breaking the memory bank while 1024x768large is good for fairly detailed pics. I assume similar results for web work.

I usually take my pics on my camera in standard or fine resolution and post email as described above. If I go to extrafine or better and 3264x2448 size the file size becomes huge something like 10M+. For example at 3264x2448 RAW I get only about 12 pics on a 256M card. At 640x480 standard I get over 600 pics.

I have been sending a lot of pics over email and like I said the medium is good if you want to send a series of shots without over filling someone's email memory allotment.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Without getting too technical, I'd say familiarize yourself with the photo editing software that came with your camera. Then you can resize and correct at will. When I post pics to websites, I try not to go over 1024, and usually shrink them to between 740-500 (width). If your camera takes pics at 180dpi, you can save some filesize by changing the resolution to 72dpi and resizing. You might want to read the help file for more detailed info...

Kale

For web posting anything over 800x600 at 72 dpi is too big, but taking photos at higher res will result in better clearer sharper photos when you reduce the res.

If you don't have photoshop, Kale's suggestion is the best. If you *do* have photoshop or Adobe Image Ready, they are the best at sizing and compressing photos for the web.

If you have Office 2003, it comes with Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Open the orginal file and choose File Export. The options are export for email, web, etc. Very easy to use!!

If you are just looking to resize the pictures, The easy way is to use PAINT unless you have a photo editing software. open you picture with paint and then go on image,and then on stretch/skew. Then save it after it is resized.(make sure you make a copy of the original file) After you put the picture on the net, Just delete it cuz you already have the original.

When i resize the pics i take, the software i use is ( Microsoft Picture It! Photo 7.0 ). I have other software but that is what i use!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back