Disobedient Sunroof - any ideas.

KAIN81

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Lately my sunroof has decided sometimes it just doesn't want to shut.
I push the button. It starts sliding like it is going to shut - and right at the point where it SHOULD latch, it decides 'nah - I wanna stay open' and slides back again.
I briefly looked around up there, and the opening and all it's moving parts are clean - any idea what might be causing it?

Both of my LSes (04 and 06) do the same thing now and then. The sun roof motor is a "smart" motor, meaning that it has the electronics and the sensors all built into the motor assembly. I suspect that the contacts on the position sensors are dirty and not always working. In my case, the problem is closing the roof from the tilted up position. If you watch closely, it's not that the motor reverses. It's that it overshoots and keeps turning. This results in the roof going up and down over and over.
If either one ever gets to where they do this so much that I can get it closed after a minute or so, I'll have to figure out how to get the motor out and take it apart to clean the position switches/sensors.

my 03 does this every once in a while, but only when closing from the open position. it will either get about 1" from closing or close all the way (at least from the look of it) then pop back open, even more rare, the front windows will do the same. i had always just assumed that it was some type of low voltage or current change on the motor like the motor was thinking that there was something like an arm in the way of it closing and was opening back up as a safety issue.

the sun roof is pretty random when it happens, i have even seen it happen when rolling the windows up remotely (basically holding the key in the door) but the windows seem to only happen with a certain set of circumstances IE: I park the car, hit auto up from the switches, then while the windows are halfway up i shut off the ignition switch and remove the keys or if the stereo is on very loud and i hit the auto buttons on the door, the windows will reverse direction if the ass hits rear hard and draws a lot of amperage.

Members online

No members online now.
Back