Door won't stay open/swings closed too easily

seanklsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of my door hitting me in my ass when I'm getting something out of the back seat. I'm guessing the "door brake" has little tension left. Anyone else have that problem? What could I do to fix this?

Our doors are so damn heavy even a new hinge doesn't do all that well.

SCP offers a hinge repair kit which replaces the pin and the roller, which is your "brake".

Or you can go to the junk yard and find a used passenger side hinge and replace the drivers side with it. Passenger side is less frequently used and tends to be in better shape.

You only need to fix/replace the lower hinge in either case.

Mine does it too. On the drivers side. I'm used to it now and just let it hit me in the ass or close on me as I'm trying to get out with something in my hands. I have to knee it back open again and make a dash for it lol. It don't even bother me anymore.

Spring plate on the front lower door hinge in conjunction with the roller assembly on a driver side always is the first to go. The roller will be out of round if not free to spin at all times and after multi opening use of the driver door, the spring plate gets weak and sometimes grooved. A passenger side one would be a cheap fix for the driver side if you can find one at a JY. It is a PITA if you are a one man show though, wt and awkwardness to take off without F'king one up. I would always put a jack-stand with a towel on top of it to prevent paint damage under the door at the far end as I took the hinge off, always worked for me to do that instead of hassling with the wt of the door at the same time.

.........uhhhhhh cuz it 30 feet long and weighs 200 lbs :D

and i agree with everything everyone posted above, and totally agree that it sucks by yourself. i hated doing fukking door hinges even with a small door it was always a PIA

i park backwards in my driveway, so I don't encounter this...

;)
....park backwards???

guinness-brilliant.jpg

i have hinges, pass side hinges, with very little use. the hinges are the same on both sides. the hinge is super easy to change if you pull the fender off, which is also easy too.

If you think mark VIII doors are heavy well an uparmored humvee door weighs 300lbs.

One of those slamming into your ass will knock you the hell over.

Members online

No members online now.
Back