DSM Trade?? Hmmm

lincolnls22's

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 lincoln ls **5spd** v6 with 133,xxx miles. I have recently been approached about a highly modded 91' eagle talon tsi awd and sum cash.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK BAD MOVE OR POSSIBLY A GOOD TRADE?

Here is the list of mods...

Under the hood:
20g turbo that puts out 23lbs of boost
A massive inter cooler, see pictures
Custom air intake, All the red piping in the picture of the engine
A new mass air flow sensor
A straight 3" exhaust with a dump tube (when the turbo hits full boost)
Headers from a Lancer Evo
The Clutch and Sync roves have been upgraded to handle the power
Altogether it has 500hp at the crank and 328hp at the wheels and 299 ft/lbs of torque
Timing belt was replaced around 20000 miles ago
It starts and runs great.
This is a Generation 1 motor so there will be no "crank walk", like you get when you upgrade a G2 motor. Ask me if you have any further questions about that.

The Body:
The are 18" Enkei wheels with Z rated tires that are in very good condition. 225/40ZR18 92W m+s
The 2 rear rims are slightly bent, so there is a slight tremor sometimes while driving.
I Have a set of four rims that are the original wheels with snow tires on them that are part of the deal.
The body was painted a few years ago in Traverse City.
It also has new and upgraded struts and suspension, so it handles great!

Honestly, your LS is not worth a whole lot, so trading it for any car plus some cash is a decent deal. However, this guy sounds like an idiot. That could be good or bad, depending on a lot of things. If he thinks there is 35% drivetrain loss, who knows what is done (or not done) to the thing that he has no clue about.

You will have to feel this one out for yourself, I think.

You decide whether you want rice or luxury.

23#s boost? I am probably way behind the times, but that seems like a lot of boost. Guess it would have to be to get 500hp out the ricer. Used to be 10 to 15 # was a moderate amount. I think the factory Subaru WRXs and Mitsu Evocs get under 300hp but then they are streetable daily driver type performance engines. 500hp in most cases would require a lot of compromises, especially in an old technology engine from 91, that may not be good for daily driving.

If it really makes that much boost, and if he got on it on a regular basis, I would expect the engine to be pretty tired unless it was rebuilt recently.

Do you know this guy and or car? I would want to know how well it works as a daily driver since that is what I assume you are replacing. I suspect this is going to be a fussy engine that makes the LS maintenance issues seem like child's play.

Find out more before you trade, this could be a headache in a can, fart can that is. And do you want us to be making jokes about your ride?

Jim Henderson

I agree, this car sounds like a headache and the guy seems to had bought the car recently and doesn't want to have a daily wrencher.

That much boost is feesable and probably is controllable. Meaning you could change the setting.

those things are known to fly, but then it makes you wonder how much did he/other owners beat the piss outta it. not to mention they are horrible plastic rattle boxes inside

there is an evo 8 running 85 pounds of boost. look up sheptrans its a place right by me, he know his :q:q:q:q about dsm's he has the fastest talon in the U.S. and he does tons of tranny work. his name is John Shepard. he also won this years dsm shootout at norwalk with his evo.

the gen one motors are way better like you said, 2g's are :q:q:q:qty as hell.
500 horses isnt that hard to get out those cars, some are funny close to 1000 or more at the wheels. plus if there are any problems the aftermarket for em is huge.

i'd say do alittle research on the car and parts it has on it then go for it. they are cool cars but i would drive it every day, its probably not built for it.

well a stock EVO runs about 20-23 PSI, and has about 300 hp, so there is no way in hell that a 1G talon has 500hp off of the same boost and same size motor (or very close to the same size)

one of the guys that i work with has a EVO 8 and he's running 26 psi and only a tad over 310hp at the wheels

as mentioned above there is nowhere near that amount of power loss through the drivetrain even with it being AWD

bottom line DSM's can be fun to drive, but a bitch to work on (and every DSM owner i know is always working in them) but the 1st gen are just plain ugly outside and in, and i would definitely be concerned with buying one that has been modded, especially as much as you say that one has, because there is no way that it hasn't been beat to hell its whole life, the only turbo car that i would buy, would be a bone stock one, that way you know that it hasn't been pushed to its limits over and over again, and then you know that whatever is done to the car is done right (well as right as your gonna do)

so buyer beware, but if your not happy with what your car is or can do, and you dont mind driving around a car as solid as a empty beer can, and you know that the car is not in bad shape, then maybe you might want to consider it.

Its a pretty fugly car on top of all that.

I could see if it was like a 3000GT or a supra....but a wanna be eclipse? Really??

Heck yea i would love to have my LS as a daily driver and a 94 supra tt as my speed fix.

I'd stay with the ls. Even if it's fast, I wouldn't trade an ls for a talon

Members online

No members online now.
Back