Duratec Cyclone

thatguy

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hypothetical swap(s):

LS with the 3.0 Duratec and a 5 speed manual trans.
Swap to 2011+ Mustang 3.7 Cyclone. The engines all derive from the Duratec 25. From what I have read they have maintained the samemotor mounts, transmission bolt patterns, and some of the basic electronic management systems. The Cyclone 37 is generally rated for around 300+ hp and 280+ ft-lb. Ironically that is more or same'ish as the Jag 3.9.

On a side note, the Cyclone 35 comes in a twin turbo setup.

To help support my theology for this swap is the fact that SVT Contours have a groomed over Duratec 25. The thing to do with them, when the engine goes awry, is to do the Duratec 3.0 swap.

How fun could these be?

making the computer happy is always the hard part. and if you go aftermarket on the computer, you go aftermarket on the gauges and the AC and such become hard to control.

Computer controls is a easy task for electronic nerds. Aside from that, even the Coyote 5.0 can be made to run carborated (not that you should). But, the basic I/0 can be figured out using an O-scope. Blah blah nerd talk. AC actuator probably has a pair of VDC wires coming off of the compressor for the clutch. And as for the environmental controls, odds are it is some type resistance based filament wire that sends a signal to the CPU. Unless it uses some sort of infared sensor. But, one could run a stand alone PCM (or cannibalized one from a mustang) with a schematic. Would have to isolate out what pins on the wire harness connector require what type of signal it sends or recieves.

for what its worth, even Ford engineers had a hell of a time controlling a 4.6 in an LS.
other things have been swapped in obviously, but the factory ECU controls a hell of a lot in the car. just remember that.
most engine swaps have ended up with manual AC controls. off, and on.

4.6 mod were not part of the Duratec line, neither was the Jag motors. Also, going from a dohc to sohc involves more variables. The 4.6 mod was a experiment to swap the Jag 3.9. Also just because a person is an engineer for structural steel does not mean they are an engineer for electronics. But, this is a quandary about updating the Duratec 30 to the new Cyclone37.

I too have wonder about this changeover. If all the sensors for the 3.0 can be put on the 3.5/3.7 great. But if you can adapt the intake it would make it much easier. Please keep this updated if you do start the process.

I was wondering about the possibility of this swap myself. The idea of the twin turbo ecoboost motor is very tempting. 3.7 would be a welcomed possibility also starting with a base of 325hp.

Has anyone made any progress on this at all?

The problem with the 4.6 in the LS was they couldn't keep it cool. It kept overheating. And the reason it never went to production, is it was too wide and couldn't be bottom loaded.

Members online

No members online now.
Back