Engine problem.

SymtecX

LVC Member
Reaction score
i fueled up last week and when i came back and started the car it was running fine and then back fired. since then i cannot get it to start back. it will crank and crank and after a while it will start with a very bad miss and sputter with no power then shuts back off. ran the complete engine codes and it came up with ignition spark failure and nothing else. could the one of the position sensors be bad causing this? or could it be a worse problem. its been sitting for over a week and the dealership says when they get an opening they will call me. i cant wait a month for them to get an opening.

Based on almost no information, I'm going to guess timing chain tensioner failure.

I'm going to agree with Joe on this. It sounds to me like a timing issue. I'd suggest you don't try starting it again until you figure it out.

Has the dealer given you an appointment? If it is a timming issue, cranking the engine could damage your pistons and heads. Can you give a little more info? V6 or V8, what year? Have you had any missfires in the past? Have you recently washed your engine? when is the last time you changed the spark plugs. What codes did you get?

Classic slack chain/valve timing symptoms. But, does not rule out simpler, cheaper causes. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.
Back