Engine Spuddering

BLACK LS8

LVC Member
Reaction score
Well Its Getting Worse Now. When I'm Stopped At A Light My Engine Will Shake And Studder A Bit. I Got The Code Read On It And I Was Told Twice Now To Change The First O2 Sensor On The Passenger Side. So I Did And It Didn't Help! I Have All New Plugs But I Can't Install Them Yet Cuz I'm Wearing A Cast For 4 More Weeks. Believe Me I Tried To Already. Any Guesses?

COPS & Fuel Filter.

Don't just change the plugs without checking the Coils. If the coils are covered in oil, you will also need to change all the valve cover gaskets and o-rings.

A dealer or high quality garage can scan your engine and pinpoint which coils are bad.

check the plug wells for oil, have a friend come over its not hard to do, if theres oil you need to change the valve cover gaskets(hopefully you have a warranty $,$$$) or know how to do it yourself.

just had the same issue on my 04, changed the gaskets, new plugs and 8 new coils, spuddering went away, car runs like new.

I dont think the coils would cause sputtering with out putting out any load, would it?

I say its a fuel problem or idle.

I dont think the coils would cause sputtering with out putting out any load, would it?

Yes it will, my car got worse and worse as the car got warmer. Once it was driven for 30 minutes it would sputter from idle to redline. It went away when the car was cold. I replaced all coils and now its all gone.

I say its a fuel problem or idle.

Coils do not behave differently under load - they simply fire a discharge to a plug - load is more mechanical in nature. Coils can shows early signs of issues at higher RPMs but not always...

If a bad coil is causing major misfires - then often those misfires are worse under load, but again, not always....

did the work myself

About $500 in parts alone

gaskets = $35 a side
coils = $45 - $60 each
some little misc stuff (dielectric grease, rtv, ...etc)

there are many threads on this - search for "valve cover gaskets", "coils" or "misfires"......

Coils do not behave differently under load - they simply fire a discharge to a plug - load is more mechanical in nature. Coils can shows early signs of issues at higher RPMs but not always...

If a bad coil is causing major misfires - then often those misfires are worse under load, but again, not always....

Well, ok thats weird my car was fine till it had heavy acceleration but it never acted up at idle or low speeds. That was one of the reasons why the mechanics couldnt tell what it was. Eventualy I gave them the list of TSB's and they fixed 2 coils, it was the two that were noticably bad. It still acted up and they did all the coils and it was fine.

Members online

No members online now.
Back