engines swap on 02 LS

Canadian_LS

LVC Member
Reaction score
hi my engine just recently went on me (rip) and wanted to know what kind of engines can go in a 2002 lincoln ls v8 body? I just cant find any good engines in Toronto.If anyone can help that would be great thanks:confused:

A Lincoln ls engine Gen I. In theory a Gen II long block will work if you swap the heads, intake manifold and sensors. Accessory mounting to the block is different too. You can't swap these engines with anything else because of the PCM. It controls modules throughout the car, i.e. windows, cluster, etc. it would cost major money to do a different engine other than an LS.

EDIT: What happen to the engine? Can you give an explaination? Failures on these engines are kind of uncommon, being it was designed by a German.

thanks centason my Ls started overheating one day so stopped let the gauge go down and continued to drive there were no problems then a couple days later it was raining it showed that it was overheating so i went back home and let it sit in my driveway i noticed after that i had coolent leaking out of my car wasnt sure where but then started seeing it come out of the exhaust supposably i warped my heads and i dont know what to do im currently looking for engines but really havent found any so now im without my baby

Now you know not to look the other way when you come across overheating lol. Good luck, not having a car is hell.

Was the car almost impossible to drive? It's suppose to go into a failsafe cooling mode.

my mechanic says there are internal problems but im not sure exactly,tomorrow i will speak to my mechanic and it did go on failsafe but it was too late i really miss the car it was a beast

i was just offered 3 engines the first one is a 2000 lincoln ls v8 engine with 123000kms for 1000 bucks and the other one is a 2001 lincoln ls 181532kms for 1100 and a 2001 jauguar s type with 125000 kms f0r 3000 obviously i dont want to spend alot but dont want to buy a crap engine any help would be awesome

S-type wont work at all. Electronics won't work. Those Gen I engines you will have to swap the tensioners to the updated ones so not to have tensioner failure. Do this before installing it, will make life a lot easier. Were they pulled from a running car? Are they in a warehouse or outside? If outside, how long have they been in the elements? Were they leak down tested and compression tested before they were removed? I'd ask a few of these questions before going with a purchase. Wouldn't want you buying blind and end up with a crap engine.

...EDIT: What happen to the engine? Can you give an explaination? Failures on these engines are kind of uncommon, being it was designed by a German.

Would you care to explain that. (Not the part about German engines not failing, we'll take that on some other time.)

I have assumed that an English car company (Jaguar) used English designed engines.

Would you care to explain that. (Not the part about German engines not failing, we'll take that on some other time.)

I have assumed that an English car company (Jaguar) used English designed engines.

I, too, would be interested in an exposition regarding a German influence. When Ford acquired Jaguar back in about '98, they almost immediately started work on a state-of-the-art new facility. One of the major functions of this new facility was the manufacture of the brand new AJ engine design. But I was unaware of any German input.

In addition, there is extensive room for cross-breeding of AJ engine components. That's not to say that every part fits every other part but the opportunities are very broad.

KS

I have a set of heads off of a dead engine (spun a bearing) so they should not be damaged if you're interested. I would have to talk to my dad. PM me if you're interested

It was British design built in Ohio. I had Helmuth Schrader, the LS' German-born chief designer on the brain. My bad.:(

the 2000 engine is stored in a warehouse and was tested for leaks and compression before being pulled and will the 2000 engine be ok in a 2002 lincoln ls and ill get all new tensioners should i get any other parts that may help with preformance and look again thanks for all the help

the 2000 engine is stored in a warehouse and was tested for leaks and compression before being pulled and will the 2000 engine be ok in a 2002 lincoln ls and ill get all new tensioners should i get any other parts that may help with preformance and look again thanks for all the help
Might just want to get a new alternator, new Visteon coil on plugs, and new spark plugs. Other than that, it's a direct swap.

Unless recently changed, I would upgrade the water pump with the metal impellar water pump (Christopher's Foreign Parts) as well as the aluminum Jag S Type thermostat tower(Rockauto.com).

I am assuming you are aware to change all hoses and put in a new thermostat.

Get ready for a "cost" for a full set of gaskets. :)

Unless recently changed, I would upgrade the water pump with the metal impellar water pump (Christopher's Foreign Parts) as well as the aluminum Jag S Type thermostat tower(Rockauto.com).

I am assuming you are aware to change all hoses and put in a new thermostat.

Get ready for a "cost" for a full set of gaskets. :)
If it was leakdown tested, then he may be safe. Maybe just the oil pan gasket and VCGs. Good call on the water pump and t-stat. Forgot about those.

so im going with a 2001 lincoln ls 3.9L engine it was fully tested and is on its way to me now.i have new coils spark plugs but dont have water pump or thermostat ,aluminum thermostat housing i will try to get oil pan gaskets and valve cover gaskets but i hope the engine is at least i get 6 month warrenty on the engine thanks everyone

ps if anyone wants a 2002 v8 engine with 203000kms on it for a project let me know

my lincoln

this is my 2002 Lincoln ls v8

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

hopefully ones of these days i can start or attend a LS meet in Ontario or somewhere in The States

If it was leakdown tested, then he may be safe. Maybe just the oil pan gasket and VCGs. Good call on the water pump and t-stat. Forgot about those.

Do you mean a cylinder leak down test? (I haven't heard of anything else being called a leak down test.) I don't see how that would say he is safe on the cooling system parts. I don't see anyone being able to leak test the cooling system of an engine that is no longer in a car. They would have to connect a whole bunch of stuff and somehow get the engine up to temperature.

The advice to change out as much of the cooling system parts is very good advice.

Yes I meant cylinder leak down test. I will correct my verbiage next time. Wouldn't want him starting the engine and it smoke blue. I only asked because you never know how the other owner drove it or how it was taken care of. Hence why I asked.

Members online

Back