Etc Engine Fail Safe Mode

tach06

LVC Member
Reaction score
My 03 LS has developed a slight electrical glitch. Over the past several weeks I have felt a slight missfire at idle from time to time. Yesterday I was driving and all of a sudden ther was no thottle response. The display in the right corner of the insrument panel read ETC ENGINE FAIL SAFE MODE. I turned off the ignition, re started the car and it seemed to run ok. I brougt it into the local Ford dealer who I have had good experience in the past with (The Lincoln dealer in my area just closed by the way) they ran test and have found nothing. Has anyone encoutered this problem? I hate to shell out $200. for a diagnostic without results.

IS the CEL on? There was a recent campaign initiated by lincoln to address the 03 ls v8 coil problem. look through the recent posts and you will see a thread I started for recall for more details.

My '06 gets that every once in a while. Just turn the car off and on and it goes away. I don't know if a serious problem is occuring or not... :confused:

Not sure what you mean by the CEL being on but I will mention it to the ford dealer.

Thanks

safe mode

Hi there

i also have a 03 LS and i took it in for the same reason..it was still under warranty luckily.. they told me that since i put a k&n air filter in the car the oil from the filter did something to a sensor?? I found it hard to believe but said whatever..the car runs as good as new again and i have not put the k&n back in..

Hi there

i also have a 03 LS and i took it in for the same reason..it was still under warranty luckily.. they told me that since i put a k&n air filter in the car the oil from the filter did something to a sensor?? I found it hard to believe but said whatever..the car runs as good as new again and i have not put the k&n back in..

They were refering to the mass air flow sensor and it does get oiled over from the oil in the k&n type filters.

Some electrical contact cleaner would be a wise investment if you are going to run with a CAI.

Members online

Back